Model Cars Magazine Forum

Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread

Calb56

What a great thread which I will continue to follow. I don't have any plans to build another TROG car but I did previously construct 2 TROG roadsters. The Model A has a Riley Head while Model T has a Frontenac Head  T-engine and transmission an additional 3-speed behind it and a Columbia rear-end giving it multiple gear ratios both ahead and in reverse.

2v29yABRFximYT.jpg2v29yAByLximYT.jpg2v29yABfCximYT.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

What a great thread which I will continue to follow. I don't have any plans to build another TROG car but I did previously construct 2 TROG roadsters. The Model A has a Riley Head while Model T has a Frontenac Head  T-engine and transmission an additional 3-speed behind it and a Columbia rear-end giving it multiple gear ratios both ahead and in reverse.

Those both a great builds!

Thanks for sharing them.

6 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

You're model T looks very similar you one I finished a few months back. Mine has a Rajo ohv conversion and a Chicago auxiliary transmission. 

20220815_192641.jpg.a2ef9943e47eb2f9a01fc3706c990940.jpg20220815_192741.jpg.1c55d41680ccb7393391fde0c85352a9.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

They're both fantastic, but, the Model A is freaking awesome! Love, love, love it!

On 1/1/2023 at 6:45 PM, Fat Brian said:

Bookending with Bernard my first build of 2023 is the Revell 29 roadster in east coast TROG style. It's the 29 roadster body on the 32 rails from the kit and the 32 grille from the 30 5 window kit. The engine is made up of various Revell flathead parts, it's a later block with the removable bell housing and a LaSalle transmission. I put a 50s style post mounted distributor on it with heads and intake from the recent 37/38 pickup. The exhaust is made from 1.5mm stainless steel tubing. I removed the rumble seat and hinged it like a trunk where I put the battery and fuel tank along with some tarps and a tool kit. I removed the pleated sections of the interior panels to give it a stripped down look and used the bomber seats from the 30 kit. I converted the rear end back to a transverse leaf spring and banjo axle from the 37 pickup and swapped the finned drums for late 30s Ford units and wide 5 wheels that I widened in the rear. The decals are from various kits and hint at a driver who was filling his post war adrenaline needs.

This was a super fun build that feel together very quickly once I found the direction it wanted to go. This is the most extensive weathering I've ever fine and I know it's not great but hopefully I can build on this experience. 

20230101_211237.jpg.2ce1014ab9ccd2156238f9122e8f4949.jpg20230101_211255.jpg.92a00ba30c0f30bdda5810a01e28e0e4.jpg20230101_211335.jpg.c076ad69bc689035450c936b7449bb10.jpg20230101_211210.jpg.553b5c85020b8290109ab372757df714.jpg

Love the trunk being filled.

Very cool rod and it's great seeing 2 finished already!

I was directed to this thread by my friend @Rocking Rodney Rat after getting some sneak peaks at his project last week. Just got done reading through all 8 pages over lunch. Looks like a good time and as a couple of you know, these old hot rod projects are my bread & butter. 

I’M IN!!! 

(Now to figure out what to build! 🤣)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I was directed to this thread by my friend @Rocking Rodney Rat after getting some sneak peaks at his project last week. Just got done reading through all 8 pages over lunch. Looks like a good time and as a couple of you know, these old hot rod projects are my bread & butter. 

I’M IN!!! 

(Now to figure out what to build! 🤣)

Love to see what you bring!

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 11:21 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

That chop is looking good. that's not an easy body to chop.... -RRR

Thank you, that was kind, it was instructive and next time if there is a next time I better know to be sickly careful when I cut the roof. My TROG is going to be a dented and welded body painted with no underwork. I will take some shortcuts, I have ordered AMT chopped T as a donor. Rims, Moon discs, seats, headers, Halibrand axle etc. I hope it arrives before the weekend.

Edit: I got an email from the hobby shop this morning, I won't rush straight to the office  😀

Edited by Ulf
  • Like 2

It's not every night you scrap a hot rod but if the purpose is good then it's ok.
The purpose this time was to use AMTs1925 Ford T Chopped No. 1167 to get parts together for the TROG build.
After I ransacked the box for reasonably time correct parts, there are parts for a bucket T with a little good will.
I am really grateful for Round2 because I remember an afternoon in the 90's trying to buy a styrene bucket T body from a major builder but that is a story that will go in my memoirs and in that case they will have to be written under a pseudonym.
Off and on during 2022 I built a generic diorama with a billboard, my idea of a faded evangelical message won no conviction at home as I figured this would be space for one car at a time in the only suitable glass cabinet in the livingroom.
The faded message idea will have to rest for a while and the billboard will advertise TROG.16C0CBCB-2E1C-4A55-B941-709F69220B41.jpeg.20113cf1e0b545280b54a2fb96e92c95.jpeg

The rims at the rear are for mock up, at the front I might have Moon caps on the outside so you can see the spokes on the inside and the pink stain on the door is the intended color added to the picture(not on the body yet).

Edited by Ulf
  • Like 2

This is my next project for the community build. It’s a classic A-V8 roadster as commonly run on the dry lakes on either side of WWII. The chassis is scratched together from Revell ’32 Ford frame rails. The front and rear crossmembers are from the Revellogram  ‘29/’30 RPU/Sedan “Rat Rod” kits, the X-member is Revell ’40 Ford and the center crossmember for the transmission is from the AMT Ala-Kart. The body is the AMT ’29 Ford Model-A Roadster with a Revell ’32 Ford grill shell. Rear suspension will be from the Revellogram “Rat Rod” kits and front suspension will feature a 4” dropped I-beam. Paired with the Z’d rear of the frame it should have a pretty low stance despite the fact that it’s a highboy. Most likely it will be flathead powered although I’m considering an early OHV V8, like a Cadillac.

More to come soon…

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Project-Startup-summary.jpg

• Like 2

I have made my own stud of bolt nuts some plasticard and an AMT tire to be able to grind and paint rims.

It went pretty well "turning" the Moon caps, two out of four had sink marks, the primer will tell the truth.25079FDF-CF52-4D34-A62D-BCD2BDA84FF8.thumb.jpeg.7433067aac9494f426a0d48732d7f902.jpeg

• Like 1

I cut a profile from the 32 grill shell, glued it to the front edge of the 34 hood and filed the shape as best I could.
If it doesn't come out acceptably flush, I'll have to remove the pressings on the sides and paint it aluminum because those hoods on race cars are rarely perfect.EEAA1683-6C47-4BD7-93AA-B76A349A86B9.thumb.jpeg.d15dc8f7a0260883101363d88dc0b12f.jpeg

18 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I really like the '34 body with the '32 radiator shell. It's a great look you don't see very often.

Thanks, nice to stand out a bit.

My idea with this build is contrasts, 32 grill shell on 34, expensive rims in the rear(magnesium), cheap in the front(30's spoke), a bit of disharmony basen on avilable parts simply for a car hopscotched into the present day of parts. Not a period perfect replica but more of an unrenovated frame and body from an old hot rod build top chopped with gas welding once upon a time.
The goal however is not a rat rod but more "this is how it turned out with what I had on hand". The parts you see behind your friends' garage and then dream about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ulf said:

...The goal however is not a rat rod but more "this is how it turned out with what I had on hand". The parts you see behind your friends' garage and then dream about.

Pretty much the textbook definition of "hot rod" in the way-back, when they were the real deal.  :D

Plugging and playing.. the thing that stalled this project was the wheelbase vs the overall length.  The body is a Pyro Auburn with Monogram Model A cowl fused to it. I did have to narrow Auburn to handle it. 

A690AB83-C725-45C5-9234-21A352CCE33D.jpeg.72c8750a2b15ff2cd893b8b7b27ad33f.jpeg

Here’s the body sitting on a Monogram chassis. Note the overhang. Is that cool or should the body be shortened?

D28ECF8A-4DAC-4583-A789-288A6A66E738.thumb.jpeg.889ccf7bd2cc68f5ff6fd22874d86914.jpeg

Here is same body sitting on what would be an extended wheelbase chassis.. 

Whatever I do, the changes will be crude, garage type mods in the spirit of TROG. 

Note that position of body is set by grille location. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Plugging and playing.. the thing that stalled this project was the wheelbase vs the overall length.  The body is a Pyro Auburn with Monogram Model A cowl fused to it. I did have to narrow Auburn to handle it. 

A690AB83-C725-45C5-9234-21A352CCE33D.jpeg.72c8750a2b15ff2cd893b8b7b27ad33f.jpeg

Here’s the body sitting on a Monogram chassis. Note the overhang. Is that cool or should the body be shortened?

D28ECF8A-4DAC-4583-A789-288A6A66E738.thumb.jpeg.889ccf7bd2cc68f5ff6fd22874d86914.jpeg

Here is same body sitting on what would be an extended wheelbase chassis.. 

Whatever I do, the changes will be crude, garage type mods in the spirit of TROG. 

Note that position of body is set by grille location. 

Thoughts?

Looking good !
Boat tail hot rods / boat tail sports cars are great.  
Sports Car Hot Rods are even greater.

The overhang is my choice, it make sence.

Edited by Ulf