Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plastic tires update

Short synopses: I sent an e-mail to Revell about putting a snap kit into a full build.

Response took 1 day.

Big demand for the 1981 Z28 Camaro.

New decals

2nd email You did not answer my question about the snap kit. Still waiting for answer.

Thanks for all your responses.                                                                                               Mike.

8 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I have a hard time following what it is you are trying to accomplish? Are you wanting a glue kit with rubber tires of an '81 Camaro Z-28? 

Guess you missed the first thread.

He's annoyed the kit he bought for a full-pop full-detail retail price was in fact a low parts-count snapper with plastic tires, and it wasn't apparently obvious on the box that that's what it was.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Just now, Ace-Garageguy said:

Guess you missed the first thread.

He's annoyed the kit he bought for full-pop retail full-detail price was in fact a low parts-count snapper with plastic tires, and it wasn't apparently obvious on the box that that's what it was.

Just found the thread after I posted, thanks Bill.

I guess what I find hard to understand is this:

1. This kit was discussed in another thread since earlier this year and was revealed as a snap kit.

2. The lack of chrome is no surprise, this 1:1 car when new had little to no chrome.

3. The plastic tires were part of the Revell program back when this kit was initially issued. Lots of options available to replace them.

I bought this kit at Hobby Lobby for $21 plus taxes. I wanted it for the decals and they are nice, the price of the kit was cheaper than buying decals separately.

8 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

1. This kit was discussed in another thread since earlier this year and was revealed as a snap kit.

2. The lack of chrome is no surprise, this 1:1 car when new had little to no chrome.

3. The plastic tires were part of the Revell program back when this kit was initially issued. Lots of options available to replace them.

A first-time noob buyer who doesn't frequent the model boards isn't going to know all of this, and if I was in that low-info market segment, I'd be turned off, frankly, if I ponied up $40, opened the box, and found a very basic snapper.

Not everyone does due-diligence prior to purchase, so it might be nice to post more complete info on the kit box.

I think that was the OP's point.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 2

I think Revell made a very Poor Judgement Call in not being open about what this Kit is. It is not a bad kit. But "Skill Level 4"?? That is Gaslighting of the first order. I'm not sure who set the pricing, but that is wrong also.  Revell seems to be on a roll lately with Poor Decisions.

It's almost like the folks running (Ruining) the Company know nothing about models. If this keeps up, all the Olds-442's in the world are not going to overcome the bad first impressions.

Edited by stavanzer
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

That's putting it lightly. I would say it's false advertising. This is particularly true for the re-release of the Cadillac Escalade where the box art depicts the Escalade ESV. 

yeah people still get mad its not a ESV, im not fazed by the camaro having plastic tires, only takes a minimum level of skill to make them look more realistic than regular kit tires.

16 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I have a hard time following what it is you are trying to accomplish? Are you wanting a glue kit with rubber tires of an '81 Camaro Z-28?  Doubt that will happen but they could reissue the '79 Z-28 kit.

I am not trying to accomplish anything other getting some response from Revell about my question. Curtis Mayfield sang "If you don't try you gonna die" {Freddies Dead} It just rubbed me the wrong way

Thanks for your comment

Mike

16 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Just found the thread after I posted, thanks Bill.

I guess what I find hard to understand is this:

I bought this kit at Hobby Lobby for $21 plus taxes. I wanted it for the decals and they are nice, the price of the kit was cheaper than buying decals separately.

I didn't see or read that discussion. I will pay more attention to kit reviews 

Thank you for the comment

Mike

11 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

That's putting it lightly. I would say it's false advertising. This is particularly true for the re-release of the Cadillac Escalade where the box art depicts the Escalade ESV. 

I agree false advertising Thanks for your comment

Mike

Well, I'd say the skill level 4 is right on the mark...

Takes level 4 belief suspension skill to witness the kit you just purchased.

Defending Revell on this one is beyond my comprehension.😵💫

Guy pays $40 for kit... "but hey I got cool yet very specific decals" 

Guy notices the "engine" looks like bad example of a Buick nailhead... "but hey I got some cool yet very specific decals".... for forty bucks 🥴

Whatever folks gotta tell themselves, but man it's just a bad look on Revell.

Pure Copium...

Edited by LL3 Model Worx
  • Like 1

I understand Quantum wanting to wring whatever bucks they can out of whatever's in the tooling bank that they couldn't foist off on Atlantis. A clearly labeled "nostalgia reissue" program much like Airfix does for the "Airfix Classics" range would temper the expectations of uninformed or unaware builders. That the reissue of the '55 Bel Air Street Machine has nice friendly "Monogram" labeling on the box lid definitely calls attention that it's older tooling at the least to builders who recognize the Monogram name and associate it with the past. 

They didn't do anything wrong in reissuing this kit. They do deserve the blowback for not giving consumers a clearer concept as to whether or not this kit was worth their dollars on the shelf.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2022 at 12:59 PM, LL3 Model Worx said:

Well, I'd say the skill level 4 is right on the mark...

Takes level 4 belief suspension skill to witness the kit you just purchased.

Defending Revell on this one is beyond my comprehension.😵💫

Guy pays $40 for kit... "but hey I got cool yet very specific decals" 

Guy notices the "engine" looks like bad example of a Buick nailhead... "but hey I got some cool yet very specific decals".... for forty bucks 🥴

Whatever folks gotta tell themselves, but man it's just a bad look on Revell.

Pure Copium...

Not sure where you got $40 as the price of the kit, I paid $34.99 less 40% at Hobby Lobby, so for $20 plus tax I got the kit. And digging around I am sure I can find a set of wheels and tires left over from another kit to replace the plastic ones.

Yes, they should have mentioned on the packaging that this was a snap kit BUT as mentioned, this particular kit was discussed here earlier and it was clearly a SNAP kit. Don't like it? Don't buy it. It really is that simple.

15 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Not sure where you got $40 as the price of the kit, I paid $34.99 less 40% at Hobby Lobby, so for $20 plus tax I got the kit. And digging around I am sure I can find a set of wheels and tires left over from another kit to replace the plastic ones.

Yes, they should have mentioned on the packaging that this was a snap kit BUT as mentioned, this particular kit was discussed here earlier and it was clearly a SNAP kit. Don't like it? Don't buy it. It really is that simple.

I didn't buy it. I was aware of what it was before it released. I was just pointing out the issues of being misleading to the uninitiated.

Of course we can all pull tires from the parts box.... I mean that's a pretty normal practice anyway 🤷  but that's not the issue here, it's with the advertising.

Pretty sure Modelcarsmag forum shouldn't be doing Revells job of advertising their products in a forum thread... so that's no defense for them.

The fact they reissued the kit isn't bad at all... and im sure people will still do great things with the kit... but the problem is they didn't make it clear and decided to let it out the door.

That's my only complaint other than folks trying to justify it by saying just use spare parts etc... because that's not the point. 

I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just that if you let things like this slide unchecked it hurts the hobby and that hurts us all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I didn't buy it. I was aware of what it was before it released. I was just pointing out the issues of being misleading to the uninitiated.

Of course we can all pull tires from the parts box.... I mean that's a pretty normal practice anyway 🤷  but that's not the issue here, it's with the advertising.

Pretty sure Modelcarsmag forum shouldn't be doing Revells job of advertising their products in a forum thread... so that's no defense for them.

The fact they reissued the kit isn't bad at all... and im sure people will still do great things with the kit... but the problem is they didn't make it clear and decided to let it out the door.

That's my only complaint other than folks trying to justify it by saying just use spare parts etc... because that's not the point. 

I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just that if you let things like this slide unchecked it hurts the hobby and that hurts us all.

Yeah they cut corners and did it right sadly, but still got caught afterwards lol.  Yeah a lot of stuff slides because as the ones here before me would say....it's part of the hobbyyyyyyyyy weeeeeeeeeeeeee.   I think companies like AMT and some others need to slow down and take there time releasing kits.  Nope kits left, right, front and center with hit or misses.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Yeah they cut corners and did it right sadly, but still got caught afterwards lol.  Yeah a lot of stuff slides because as the ones here before me would say....it's part of the hobbyyyyyyyyy weeeeeeeeeeeeee.   I think companies like AMT and some others need to slow down and take there time releasing kits.  Nope kits left, right, front and center with hit or misses.  

Yup.

If they would just make it clear what's actually in the box that would be a good place to start.

I mean alot of us (myself included) will work with most anything if it's not just a total dog... but we also usually know that going in... alot of these new folks in the hobby and some of the folks who have just returned and been out of it a long time do not know what kit is what.

And when they go into a kit and see what's in that camaro kit after seeing the box... disappointment is very likely. And its bad for the hobby and that's no good.

17 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Yup.

If they would just make it clear what's actually in the box that would be a good place to start.

I mean alot of us (myself included) will work with most anything if it's not just a total dog... but we also usually know that going in... alot of these new folks in the hobby and some of the folks who have just returned and been out of it a long time do not know what kit is what.

And when they go into a kit and see what's in that camaro kit after seeing the box... disappointment is very likely. And its bad for the hobby and that's no good.

Yeah, and I'm not hating AMT or Revell etc because they do have some good kits and fantastic kits under there belt.  I just like to give them flack unlike MPC - I rather build a kit from wood than open a MPC box lol.

8 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Yeah, and I'm not hating AMT or Revell etc because they do have some good kits and fantastic kits under there belt.  I just like to give them flack unlike MPC - I rather build a kit from wood than open a MPC box lol.

I don't hate any manufacturer...not even MPC. Alot of there kits are "challenged" I will say that. I kinda get a chuckle out of their "parts floating in a bag" approach. I really only buy them when the deal is too good and or the subject isn't available elsewhere.

They all have good ones and bad ones, just some more than others.

Lately I've really been loving Japanese stuff though, their culture just lends itself and shows in their attention to detail. That being said they also have plenty of bad ones.