Model Cars Magazine Forum

48ft Drop Deck Trailer

12 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Gonna be a looooooooong trailer!!  Great work on it.  I see lots of Evergreen!

Thanks Charles and yes the entire frame build is Evergreen and other plastic. I will put a wood deck on. I have four models of injection molding machines, I will build the largest one and mount it on a wooden skid with a lift off crate to enclose it. I am hopeful that it will fit on the lower deck when completed, hence the long trailer. 463DA108-9EE6-4F43-8078-5E2664A1B65A.thumb.jpeg.8bfff128a9d5fa40511a57bce5771ec0.jpeg

• Like 1

Starting work on the injection molding machine and the wooden pallet/crate. This will be the load on the drop deck trailer with multiple crates contains leveling pads,  mold, thermolater and one shot loader. Waiting for parts for the trailer and I need a break from cutting plastic, so load it is. D48AAF79-69EA-4E85-8486-9C7C8F4AA04C.thumb.jpeg.00507ad2545e04c1b101b05284eee674.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

That is one heavy duty trailer! The cargo looks great as well! Very nice work!!

Thank you, yes it is a heavy hauler, during my research, these trailers are built for 60 to 80 ton capacity in generally in three axle and 80 to 120 ton in four axle, higher weights can be achieved with a three axle Jeep. There are some monster heavy haul trailers out there in the real world that I would love to build if I knew more about them. 

Gary, trailer is coming along nice. Can you snap few close-up pics of the trailer axles? I keep seeing those resin parts on several website but was not sure how one can use them. 

Thanks and appreciate you sharing your work.

Mike

Edited by youngtiger1

6 hours ago, youngtiger1 said:

Gary, trailer is coming along nice. Can you snap few close-up pics of the trailer axles? I keep seeing those resin parts on several website but was not sure how one can use them. 

Thanks and appreciate you sharing your work.

Mike

Mike, here is the drop axle springs and axles from Auslow I am using on the drop deck trailer. I will be adding some detail work to these axles. 04BF3B65-F741-435E-ABCA-1B867075E437.thumb.jpeg.d3801d29bfdcbbb40247dc6e579705fa.jpeg678BD745-8F03-43B9-B3CF-ACE675CC2AD3.thumb.jpeg.db4aefad52ec6069a81c5dfbcef0de6c.jpeg97289552-FABD-4787-AEAA-8F161002A701.thumb.jpeg.f460378f7f26b9ae221d03cd5eb59c1b.jpegAuslow makes several variations and triple axle spring setups as well. There are several companies that make these products. I included other air suspension axles that I keep in my inventory for truck/trailer builds. 

• Like 1

Thanks Gary, that is exactly what I needed to see. Looking through your pics I see you used 2 Auslow sets to complete the axles/springs. Also, auslow sets include metal rod for axles rod to give extra strength…nice touch. I don’t think I have seen anyone else offer that. 

To bad about KFS closing doors they had some good stuff. I was told their molds were sold to various businesses so they will be produced again down the road.

Again, thank you 🙏 so much for your help. Keep on Truckin.

7C507EBB-DC76-4308-B95C-BE9DF1C4F106.jpeg