Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Couple of Old Tamiya Kits Recently Built

Out of the box quick builds to wind down between a couple of big projects I was doing late last year.

Older but updated Tamiya kit of the M2A2 Bradly supposedly as it appeared in Desert Storm. In reality it is a much later version but since I wasn't doing anything specific with it I really don't care what version it actually is.
All in all a very well detailed kit for it's age and looks good out of the box even if the stowage (included) appears to be held on the sides by magic or fridge magnets or something. Normally I would at least add attachment points and straps but that would defeat the purpose of a 100% out of the box build so hovering Alice packs it is. 

tamiya-35264.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=208799&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=208800&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=208801&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=208802&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=208803&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=208804&stc=1

Annnnnd here is the second down and dirty out of the box.
It is a very old kit from 1975 when they were motorized and considered as much toys as anything. The new boxings do not come with the motor or other parts though.
That said it is still beautifully detailed even by today's standard and the molds have held up really well. The commander figure is about the same vintage and was originally from a kit I built in the early '70s. He just got a new coat of paint. 

51821362811_60ad717510_h.jpg

51821474948_484f8d8914_c.jpg

51821475108_c8ebacfcb6_h.jpg

51821474768_cbfc934196_b.jpg

51821705194_12cf9d8800_b.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, plasticprime said:

Great job on both! The stowage items on the Bradley look terrific, even if they are suspended by magic! Rivet counters hate 'em, but you can't beat Tamiya kits for overall value and quality. I still have a functioning 1970's Leopard with the dual stick remote box!

Thanks. The stowage is just the standard Tamiya packs and kit that came in the kit. The whole exercise was to make the old kits look good through paint and weathering instead of adding parts. It hepled a lot that even for their age they had great detail.

I would be afraid to post it on an armour modeling site because you would inevitably have that one guy going "I see you marked it as 243 so it is totally inaccurate. That vehicle was built on May 24, 1944 and Hermann the riveter was hung over that morning so the 3rd rivet from the left on the plate below the mantlet should be a 1/2 scale inch out of line with the rest and the 3rd bogie wheel from the front on the right should be painted 2.76% darker than the rest because it was replaced by Fritz the gunner after being damaged on July 12, 1944.  If you are going to model a specific vehicle then get your facts straight or just call yourself a builder not a modeler"  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

Thanks. The stowage is just the standard Tamiya packs and kit that came in the kit. The whole exercise was to make the old kits look good through paint and weathering instead of adding parts. It hepled a lot that even for their age they had great detail.

I would be afraid to post it on an armour modeling site because you would inevitably have that one guy going "I see you marked it as 243 so it is totally inaccurate. That vehicle was built on May 24, 1944 and Hermann the riveter was hung over that morning so the 3rd rivet from the left on the plate below the mantlet should be a 1/2 scale inch out of line with the rest and the 3rd bogie wheel from the front on the right should be painted 2.76% darker than the rest because it was replaced by Fritz the gunner after being damaged on July 12, 1944.  If you are going to model a specific vehicle then get your facts straight or just call yourself a builder not a modeler"  

Now that's funny!