Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

HPI Guy 1975 Lil Hustler Datsun Drag Truck

Daddyfink

1 minute ago, Mike C. said:

Have the stepside version of this kit with the trailer and 2 Husqvarna's with gear. Gave me some ideas on how to build it. Mine has the small block Chevy engine with the headers. No tilt front clip. Waaaay back of the line to build.

547dce59f8cd2a8c949ad1c7df328c5c.jpg

That's actually a totally different kit, it's amazing to me we ended up with at least four kits of this era Datsun pickup. Your kit is an old Revell kit. The kit from the video is from MPC and shares its body with the Scavenger monster truck. Then there's the stock version from MPC that was out a few years ago.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

That's actually a totally different kit, it's amazing to me we ended up with at least four kits of this era Datsun pickup. Your kit is an old Revell kit. The kit from the video is from MPC and shares its body with the Scavenger monster truck. Then there's the stock version from MPC that was out a few years ago.

22 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

It's based on the same mold. Revell absorbed Monogram some years ago.

1 hour ago, Mike C. said:

It's based on the same mold. Revell absorbed Monogram some years ago.

Sorry but you are wrong.

The 'Lil Hustler" is an old MPC tool, which is now owned by Round2.

The kit you have is a Revell/Monogram tool, and that was NEVER shared between MPC/AMT/Round 2 and Revell/Monogram.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Sorry but you are wrong.

The 'Lil Hustler" is an old MPC tool, which is now owned by Round2.

The kit you have is a Revell/Monogram tool, and that was NEVER shared between MPC/AMT/Round 2 and Revell/Monogram.

I just assumed that Revell bough them up like they did with so many others. I wouldn't have thought that this particular truck was so popular back then. I thought it was from the same tooling. Live and learn, I suppose.

53 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

I wouldn't have thought that this particular truck was so popular back then.

The era of the Mini-Truck was in full swing when both Revell (still an independent company, based in Venice, Ca.) and MPC (no connection with AMT et al. at that time) released their own, unique versions of the popular Datsun Pickup. 

MPC had the contract for the annuals (IIRC, 1975 was the first year, with modified reissues following by c.1980), which is partly - okay, the main reason - why they produced Datsun 720 [?].
Likewise, the MPC offerings are vastly superior to the so-so Revell version, with its generic chassis/suspension/engine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike C. said:

I just assumed that Revell bough them up like they did with so many others. I wouldn't have thought that this particular truck was so popular back then. I thought it was from the same tooling. Live and learn, I suppose.

Actually, it was quite popular. It had a great run from 1973 to 1979

The Revell version did not come in a stock version at all. It has the same generic chassis as the Ford Courier and the Chevy Luv, and it is way out of scale. The MPC kit is the closest to an accurate 620 as it gets. Sans the Gasser and Monster truck versions. 

2 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Well, Revell actually hasn't bought up a lot of model companies over the years, although they did merge with Monogram. The history of the model companies is quite interesting and there are others who know it and have followed it more closely than I have. Brian pretty much explained that there were two totally different kits from two different companies, not sure what the confusion was. That kit you have is actually cartoonish when it comes to the truck, the only redeeming quality it has are the bikes and trailer.

14 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Well, Revell actually hasn't bought up a lot of model companies over the years, although they did merge with Monogram. The history of the model companies is quite interesting and there are others who know it and have followed it more closely than I have. Brian pretty much explained that there were two totally different kits from two different companies, not sure what the confusion was. That kit you have is actually cartoonish when it comes to the truck, the only redeeming quality it has are the bikes and trailer.

I pretty much bought that vintage kit for the bikes and the trailer. upon closer inspection, the truck looked nice as well.

4 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

I will say that the tires and wheels leave a little to be desired.

Quite true. I haven't built one of those (ancient) Revell pickups - LUV, Courier, Datsun - in more than 40 years, so I don't remember just how mediocre their tyres & wheels are/were. 

Edited by 1972coronet
CLAIRIFICATION

9 hours ago, Mike C. said:

I pretty much bought that vintage kit for the bikes and the trailer. upon closer inspection, the truck looked nice as well.

So the totally wrong chassis & lousy wheels and tires and it looks nice? C'mon, that truck, like all of the other Monogram small pickups from the 70's were poorly done and no where close to accurate. Much like the Street Machine pickup, Midnite Cowboy wrecker and others, some serious liberties were taken to crank out models that many give a pass to because "they look nice".  For as much kibitzing as some people do about kits and accuracy, there's a lot of Revell and Monogram stuff that is flat out WRONG but because of the subject matter are forgiven?   Sorry, ain't buying it.

41 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

So the totally wrong chassis & lousy wheels and tires and it looks nice? C'mon, that truck, like all of the other Monogram small pickups from the 70's were poorly done and no where close to accurate. Much like the Street Machine pickup, Midnite Cowboy wrecker and others, some serious liberties were taken to crank out models that many give a pass to because "they look nice".  For as much kibitzing as some people do about kits and accuracy, there's a lot of Revell and Monogram stuff that is flat out WRONG but because of the subject matter are forgiven?   Sorry, ain't buying it.

In my defence, my memories of those kits are seen through the lens of my 10 year old self (haha). I was satisfied with how they turned out at that time, and that was good enough for me. 

23 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

In my defence, my memories of those kits are seen through the lens of my 10 year old self (haha). I was satisfied with how they turned out at that time, and that was good enough for me. 

Me too, the Revell Desert Rat Datsun is one of my all time favorites! I never built the MPC Datsun back then, but I am looking forward to tackling it now.