Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos JR/ WMCC Asphalt Modified

roadhawg

This is my first build of the Salvinos JR/Wes's Model Car Corner Modified kit. I'm a bit of a fan of North Carolina's Bowman Gray Stadium, and Jonathan Brown is one of the most popular drivers there, so I chose his red and white car to build first. 
While the kit itself requires some patience and test fitting, the biggest two things that concerned me were the engine and the tires.
The engine is not really anything real.....the block, heads, valve covers, and headers are small block Chevy, but the timing cover, water pump, and intake runner spacing are more Ford-ish. To further confuse things, the instructions have you mount the distributor either in the front or the rear, depending on which hood option you choose. I plan on leaving hoods on these models, so it really doesn't matter to me, but if you plan on some super detailing, you have some research to do....
Now the tires. The kit tires just looked too big to me, so to settle this for good I got out my calipers and started measuring. The real Hoosier 1320s these cars run on are 26" in diameter, and the kit tires scale out to 28", so my eyes didn't lie. The asphalt modified tires made by Plastic Performance Products scale out to a perfect 26" so I went with those. They're still about 2 scale inches too wide (4 scale inches for Bowman Gray Cars), but I'll live with that. 

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's the model. All kit parts except the tires and the decals (Jonathan Brown set from Speedway Decals). I made a few mistakes, but I think my next one will build up easier. Thanks for looking! 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 3/9/2023 at 9:21 AM, catpack68 said:

Very nice work Tommy!👍 Thanks for your input on building one. I missed out on the first run of these, so I’m hoping to get one when they are released again.

When the #3 Ole Blue kit was released, it's better instructions to go with. If you build another use those instruction's there more accurate. On your next build the engine block itself nothing added, you need to sand down both ends 40 thousands for alot more room and more accurate. I have those decals as well. The kits are a work of art themselves. My question is where did you get your tires from to fit the modified. Beautiful build btw

Nice work! I have one started myself. The engine is complete and the chassis and cage are painted, gloss black. I'll look at the PPP tires, maybe some Ron Coon wheels would be better than the kit ones. Most of the other parts are cleaned up and are in prime.

I could go with a #3 Len Bohler car, leaning towards a Richie Evans tribute car too.The instructions are vague regarding the rear panel fits, maybe I will pick up an Ol Blue kit. A couple of things I don't like, the glass is too thick and so is the side screen. I'll look at making up something else.