Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Barn find, running"

customline

2 hours ago, Calb56 said:

I wish I'd been old enough during those days...

I was too young for that. I just miss the days you could find a 56 Ford pickup for a hundred bucks and, with the help of a buddy, you would flat-tow it with a rope and as long as the brakes worked, you could get it home where you'd spend the rest of the day getting it running. I loved exploring junkyards and the smell of sun-baked upholstery....and the quiet. Good times.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Slotto said:

Super cool. Like everyone else said, that seat...killer. best rust I've ever seen. That 1st picture did it for me. Looks exactly like a rusty frame

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder 🥴. Thanks, Steve.  I've got to say this, though; a lot of what you see here is not what I was trying to do. Sure, I was building a "survivor" but the finish of the body and the seat is just the way it turned out. I start out in the direction I want to go in and my limitations of materials and knowledge  and imagination form the result. I don't have solid control of it. It's always a compromise in some way. I plan to do another one, though, either the '53 F-100 or the '41 Chevy pickup. Old pickups are great subjects. I need to study some techniques we associate with military vehicles. THATS where I want to take it. The rust will be there but not the major component. More realistic than this one. More subtle. Rusty with restraint. 😌.

44 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

All the above...and I really like the diamond-plate partial floor.

I can't count the number of times I've seen a "repair" like that on a real car.  :D

I was thinking about using some license plates but that's been done a million times and I have quite a scrap pile. 😕 Glad you like it, thanks Bill.

21 hours ago, customline said:

Hmm....I recall using some Krylon variety in a gloss burgundy sprayed over flat black and later some black acrylic craft paint rubbed in with my fingers and a soft rag. The idea was to make it look like dirty and greasy old vinyl or leather. Did it work?

Best looking old leather seat I've seen, very realistic.