Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Kit From Round 2 - AMT 1963 Ford F100 Styleside (Unibody) with Camper Top

tim boyd

On 2/13/2024 at 6:23 AM, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, that camper shell just looks fake to me..don't think I've ever seen one made like that...I want to cut off the section that goes over the cab.

When I was working in an upholstery shop we had one very close to that come in but it went back another two or three feet into the bed are before flattening out and the guy wanted to use it for a bed for two with a into it from the seating area and or the bed area that would also have sleeping arrangements, the guy was a traveling short track racer and used the truck for pulling a three axle tag along 30 foot trailer that when the car was unloaded had a kitchenette and kind of a lounge for his crew and a wife or girlfriend or two. We made a crawl through that was under the bed and went through where the back window was originally and cut a sunroof type opening in the roof and made an internal and external climb through that allowed a person to go back and forth without having to stop and it also made it so that the HVAC unit could work for the entire area. It was a lot of work and surprised quite a few people who saw it the first time, a lot called it the "Traveling' Bordello", so we lettered that on the back window of the camper shell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a 63 Ford PU from Model Round. As I admitted before, I was never able to develop the painting skills that others here have but I can cleanly build it right out of the box. 

I just got Both of the Ford Kits this weekend.

I finally got a chance to open the '63.

Wow! What a great job Round2 has done on this kit. The Chrome Trees, and While Plastic are superb! I cannot wait to start putting it together. The Cross Kitting possibilities are a nice bonus, too.

Thanks, Steve G, John G and the rest of the Team!

• Thanks 1

Acknowledging up front that this information is gleaned from only a limited number of sources, I am hearing that the first production run of the AMT '63 Ford Pickup is largely sold out at the retail level. 

So....if you are planning on buying the kit at some point and you see one available for sale right now, best advice would be to grab it post haste! 

Best...TB   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, drodg said:

Other than Tim Boyd's great build I actually haven't seen another build of this 63 on our forum.  Anyone out there building it?

Thanks David for the compliment; in response to your question, I recall a couple of kitbashes of this kit being posted over at Spotlight Hobbies with lowered stances and big wheels and tires, and they looked killer!   Best...TB  

11 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Thanks David for the compliment; in response to your question, I recall a couple of kitbashes of this kit being posted over at Spotlight Hobbies with lowered stances and big wheels and tires, and they looked killer!   Best...TB  

I will go over there and look, thanks Tim.  

16 hours ago, Edsel-Dan said:
  1. I am trying to restore both 60 & 63 ORIGINAL's for some time now, but......
  2. am glad they have been re-tooled!!

I was working on a resto/slight kitbash of an original '63 when I got the word that Round 2 was planning a new kit of the subject.  Having spent hours fixing the numerous sink marks and crooked side moldings on the original '63, not to mention all the other iffy 1963-quality parts and fits, I can assure all who are reading this that the new '63 is light years better than the original annual kit in almost every way ..TB 

• Like 3