Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Kit From Round 2 - AMT 1963 Ford F100 Styleside (Unibody) with Camper Top

tim boyd

You can see a photo of the test shot (courtesy of James Duff, and repeated below this note in this thread, again courtesy of James) in the same thread topic on the New Car Kits section of the Industry News section of the forum, but today at the NNL East Round 2 unveiled their latest "clone" project, a redo of the original AMT 1963 F100 pickup kit, in this case, the 1968 kit release with the added camper top shell. 

This new "kit clone" tooling was apparently designed from the start as a parallel part of the 1960 F100 tooling set.  The body itself appears a much higher quality casting (at least based on what I see here) than the original 1963/1964/1968 AMT kit release, eliminating many of the sags, sink marks, and so forth of the original.  It also has a far better execution of the 1963-only upper bodyside molding.  The engine is apparently the same Y-Block as in the 1960 kit.  This and the 1960 are apparently on pretty much the same glide path in terms of development timing; reportedly they should appear on the market either at approximately the same time or the second one soon after the first one debut.  

This one has been near or at the top of my "wanted" pickup kit topics since at least the early 1980's (see my WIP thread on my build of the original kit elsewhere on the Forum for details), I hope it is near the top of your "wants" as well.

Major league kudos from this corner for Tom Lowe, Steve G, John G, and the entire Round 2 team.  Way to go, guys!  TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 4

Does anybody have a copy of the Instruction Sheet for the '63 Pickup? I'd really like to see more about the Camper, the 2 custom front ends, and the Supercharged Engine. I suspect that some of the parts might be carry-overs from the '62's but I don't know.

I was born in 1963, so a '63 Ford Pickup will be on my list of kits I want to build.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

It would be nice without the section over the cab, never seen a 1:1 truck cap like that.

Simple enough to chop off that part and make it a regular bed topper...  I'm just grateful to see it at all -hats off to @SteveG and the Round2 guys.  This, the '60 F100, the two GTOs, the '68 Coronet, never imagined we'd see a year like this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

It would be nice without the section over the cab, never seen a 1:1 truck cap like that.

I agree. I have an original here and it looks as funny as the one above. I get the over the cab part just not the little, short area to climb into. Should have been a high cap all the way back.  The one I have does have strips so you could store or carry thigs on top of it. 

1 hour ago, dodgefever said:

Simple enough to chop off that part and make it a regular bed topper...  I'm just grateful to see it at all -hats off to @SteveG and the Round2 guys.  This, the '60 F100, the two GTOs, the '68 Coronet, never imagined we'd see a year like this.

Like Tim Boyd said we keep buying and they will keep making these. The curbsides must be more cost effective to produce.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrenchr said:

Like Tim Boyd said we keep buying and they will keep making these. The curbsides must be more cost effective to produce.  

I have a couple of the 61-63 ford trucks already. I will be buying more than 1 of these. HHMMM Maybe it is time to list what I have on ebay.......... nope they can stay here with my glue bomb warlock. 

Curbside is fine as 3d printed engines are nice, and I get to pick the engine I want. 

19 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Ok you Ford guys and Chevy guys have your kits now ,Where are the Dodge Pickups ?

I know you’re probably talking older trucks, but I am hoping Round 2 will rerelease the 90s Ram 2500/3500 kits since they were willing to bring back the snap 90s Chevy kits!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jordan White said:

I know you’re probably talking older trucks, but I am hoping Round 2 will rerelease the 90s Ram 2500/3500 kits since they were willing to bring back the snap 90s Chevy kits!

At this point Jordan I would take any year of Dodge truck !

On 4/22/2023 at 10:30 AM, stavanzer said:

Does anybody have a copy of the Instruction Sheet for the '63 Pickup? I'd really like to see more about the Camper, the 2 custom front ends, and the Supercharged Engine. I suspect that some of the parts might be carry-overs from the '62's but I don't know.

I was born in 1963, so a '63 Ford Pickup will be on my list of kits I want to build.

Here you go. I bought this at the 1989  Fall Model Show/Swap meet in St. Louis Missouri I just turned 21 years old. It was missing the Instructions some one made copies of them there not the best. Check out the date on the Newspaper I wrapped the Camper glass in to protect it. I’ll never forget buying this truck because it was so rare even back in 1989. 

E5E765D9-5A79-4684-BAF0-ED18E236B7E4.jpeg

E97AA86A-66D7-4D1B-BA08-6B03579D37BE.jpeg

6D2E38D2-ADC7-4940-AAA0-02BA7496649E.jpeg

9E939749-F609-44BB-AD35-92E420D99FAE.jpeg

F4F20FEA-066C-4765-B269-E05D880F5FBD.jpeg

22D4AA87-1911-499B-A565-F320C98F6E74.jpeg

C6B90705-4E92-438F-AC74-1758BB8B125C.jpeg

7C67EBDE-E749-4B54-9F0B-C998767981AF.jpeg

Edited by Pete68
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1