Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Chevy Impala SS

bluestringer

On 5/7/2023 at 1:20 PM, bluestringer said:

After looking closer I will say I'm not impressed with this MCW paint at all. Very rough, not smooth. I will need to wet sand to get this smoothed out, and try adding another coat. I've never had to sand a body I painted with Tamiya paint. I should of just tried to find a Tamiya color that was close to the original. Also the bottle leaked badly when shaking it, never could get it tight enough to stop the leaking.

I have used MCW lacquer frequently and they recommend their lacquer primer because their paint is a bit hot. I have used their primer which works very well, but I'm just little cheap so I use Duplicolor  color automotive primer. I've not had any problems with either primer.  I don't believe that the Mr hobby primer was designed for lacquers.  Now if I could just figure out their enamels, whole different story. Really nice 66 you've got in work. Make it beautiful.

Edited by wallyk 50
Added

After smoothing it out with some sanding I shot a couple more coats on. It did the same thing. Has a rough texture, feels like sandpaper. It's especially on the roof and trunk. The side panels are not too bad. I tried taking the advice gave and shot it closer and wetter, using a .38 needle. I guess I just can't shoot this lacquer. I'm just going to sand out some of the roughness and apply the clear. I'll have to be careful not to burn through because I used the rest of the paint. If it does not come out to my liking I'll just put it all back in the box. I'll purchase another 66 later and start over. I've already found a Tamiya Acrylic that looks really close to this original color, Tamiya X-33 Bronze. I'll use it if I start a new build. Stay tuned, we'll see how it goes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

After smoothing it out with some sanding I shot a couple more coats on. It did the same thing. Has a rough texture, feels like sandpaper. It's especially on the roof and trunk. The side panels are not too bad. I tried taking the advice gave and shot it closer and wetter, using a .38 needle. I guess I just can't shoot this lacquer. I'm just going to sand out some of the roughness and apply the clear. I'll have to be careful not to burn through because I used the rest of the paint. If it does not come out to my liking I'll just put it all back in the box. I'll purchase another 66 later and start over. I've already found a Tamiya Acrylic that looks really close to this original color, Tamiya X-33 Bronze. I'll use it if I start a new build. Stay tuned, we'll see how it goes. 

I’m starting to think you’re possibly having compatibility problems between your paint and primer or something. 
If you truly gave it a “wet” coat, there’s no way it should be grainy.

My thought is that you got started on the wrong foot right out of the gate by using Mr. Hobby primer under automotive lacquer.

Could be a big part of the problem.

Steve

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I’m starting to think you’re possibly having compatibility problems between your paint and primer or something. 

My thought is that you got started on the wrong foot right out of the gate by using Mr. Hobby primer under automotive lacquer.

Steve

Could be, I don't know. I think some other users said they had used Mr. Hobby and it was fine. And I sprayed on the color coat this time. I did go wet, almost to the point of it running. Anyway, it is what it is. I'll finish it up best I can, and just get another one if it doesn't work out. I'm sure the paint is fine, it just doesn't work for me. I only got it because I wanted the original color, I will not need to get anymore from MCW, although I may give their enamel a try later on.

16 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Could be, I don't know. I think some other users said they had used Mr. Hobby and it was fine. And I sprayed on the color coat this time. I did go wet, almost to the point of it running. Anyway, it is what it is. I'll finish it up best I can, and just get another one if it doesn't work out. I'm sure the paint is fine, it just doesn't work for me. I only got it because I wanted the original color, I will not need to get anymore from MCW, although I may give their enamel a try later on.

I used a custom mix of MCW enamel thinned with lacquer thinner for my interior parts.

Worked well.3E102862-5CBB-4B07-88F5-2E0BEE7919F6.jpeg.a8746cc69090fdb86c815eed3803b884.jpeg

Steve

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Put the clear on. It turned out not too bad. I can live with it. The color is true to the original from what I remember.

Willing to bet that the real thing was not ultra shiny like most model cars get painted anyway. I know that the couple of models I did of my old cars needed to have the gloss knocked down to be more like what they really looked like.

Hard to tell in the pictures but that appears to be a very appropriate level of gloss for a 3 or 4 year old stock 60's car paint job.

On 5/9/2023 at 5:57 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Not going to be a primer issue if the last painting was over several coats of the lacquer. Sounds all the world like the paint is drying on the way to the model to me. I have run into this issue several times with flat paints on armour. Reduce pressure, use the right thinner and even possibly some retardant and I bet it is fine.

46 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

Willing to bet that the real thing was not ultra shiny like most model cars get painted anyway. I know that the couple of models I did of my old cars needed to have the gloss knocked down to be more like what they really looked like.

Hard to tell in the pictures but that appears to be a very appropriate level of gloss for a 3 or 4 year old stock 60's car paint job.

You are correct. I thought about that when I applied the clear and tried not to put on too a wet coat. Car was 3 years old when I got it and not super shiny.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tcoat said:

Not going to be a primer issue if the last painting was over several coats of the lacquer. Sounds all the world like the paint is drying on the way to the model to me. I have run into this issue several times with flat paints on armour. Reduce pressure, use the right thinner and even possibly some retardant and I bet it is fine.

Sure, but the problem started with the original color coat.

Spray paint over a booger, and you’ve got a painted booger. 😉

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Sure, but the problem started with the original color coat.

Spray paint over a booger, and you’ve got a painted booger. 😉

Steve

But then he sanded it smooth and it happened again on the smooth lacquer finish so no primer was involved. The booger had been wiped.