Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decal sheets stuck together

I recently acquired a well used Entex 1/8 John Player Special Lotus kit. It seems mostly complete but I haven't taken a full inventory just yet. One thing I have noticed is that the decal sheets are partially fused, I assume from improper humid storage. One sheet is fine, it's the one that is behind it that is concerning. Both sheets are unused and I'd really be interested to know if anyone has had success in separating sheets like this with minimal damage. Thanks for any suggestions. 

The glue on the decal paper has gotten damp enough to cause it to become tacky. That can range from 'easy to separate' to impossible to save. There is no real trick to getting them apart.......You might try using a sheet of plastic, very thin like .010, and push it between the sheets.  See what happens. 

PS: check with Indycals as he may repro those. 

21 minutes ago, Oldriginal86 said:

Try the same condition that caused the issue. Create the humidity with steam from a pot of boiling water.

That may work well.....but beware as you may activate the glue to the point it glues the transfer/decal to the paper......or be prepared to use them all within minutes!!! 

Thanks for the input guys. I'd actually thought of using steam, but wasn't sure how much is too much. I ended up getting impatient and used my hands and a very blunt blade to pull them apart. As it turns out, only the gluey substance between the decals printed on the sheet was stuck to the back of the other sheet. So I spent a while prying them apart. Ended up losing one decal. That being said, I'm not sure they are not all discolored anyway. We shall see.

18 hours ago, Dave Van said:

PS: check with Indycals as he may repro those.

Thanks for the tip. Is this a member or an internet business?

They are an online business. I’d post a link but I’m too much of a luddite to do it from my phone. Indycals.net should get you there, or just google indycals. They have some nice stuff for open wheel racers. I haven’t ordered from them myself, but they are highly recommended by forum members who have. 

• Like 2

Regarding your current decals, give them a couple good coats of liquid decal film before using, to restore some decal integrity. 

Also, depending on the nature of the discolouration, taping the sheet to a sunny window, good side facing out, can sometimes clear them up. May take a few days. If the window is prone to getting damp at night, put the decals in a sealed zip lock bag, first. 
Good luck. Sounds like an interesting kit.