Model Cars Magazine Forum

What happened to????

In all of the deals that Round2 did with Lindberg, Polar Lights etc. I know that they ended up with at least a couple of the Testors/Lindberg kits i.e. the Smoothster and the Vanagon, and didn't they also get the custom Chopped Coupe with the '38 Special style nose? What I was curious about is what happened to the Aluma Coupe, Chezoom, and with all the excitement over the OBS Chevrolet pickup kits also from Round2 where is the Boyds Shop truck that was also the Eddie Van Halen truck? True it's a 1/24th kit but still has some possibilities for a builder what with the 1/24th releases of the square body Chevys there's some engine and running gear parts out there for an industrious builder. And there were full detail AND Quick Builder versions of most of those Boyds kits that would provide some nice parts and pieces the custom fans and that Chezoom Full Detail chassis has some real possibilities for making other earlier model shoebox era cars into some high tech Street Customs or Pro Touring builds. If only they could be drug out of the shadows and dusty storage bins and cut loose. Maybe they would even be of interest to someone like Atlantis if Round2 is kinda iffy on whether or not they would sell.

I also wonder what happened to those other IMC/Testors molds;  1948 Fords (coupe and convertible), Avenger GT-12 (kit car on a VW chassis), Ford GT-40s, Chaparral and Lola and

especially the "Love Machine" (Super-Van, by Georges Barris).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PintoKING said:

I also wonder what happened to those other IMC/Testors molds;  1948 Fords (coupe and convertible), Avenger GT-12 (kit car on a VW chassis), Ford GT-40s, Chaparral and Lola and

The only reason that Lindberg ended up with the IMC kits they did, was because the molds were dropped off at George Toteff's tool and die shop for mold repair, and were forgotten there. 

What became of the other tooling remains a matter of conjecture. There have been previous threads on the subject here.

Edited by garagepunk66

3 hours ago, PintoKING said:

Union in Japan ended up with some of those tools, including the 48 Fords and VW, if I recall correctly. From there, who knows.

• Like 1

The last issues of the '48 Ford(s) and VW Beetle were by Union of Japan. Apparently Lindberg didn't get those tools, or the IMC Ford GTs.  They (Lindberg) would probably have reissued at least some of those kits.  The '48 Fords would have been at the top of the list back then, as Revell hadn't released theirs yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

The only reason that Lindberg ended up with the IMC kits they did, was because the molds were dropped off at George Toteff's tool and die shop for mold repair, and were forgotten there. 

What became of the other tooling remains a matter of conjecture. There have been previous threads on the subject here.

George Toteff's tool and die shop for mold repair, and were forgotten there. Code for non payment.