Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glue recommendations

Hey all, wondering what’s the best glue(s) to use. Currently I mainly use the red testors tube but it turns lighting and windows foggy, and I also use insta-cure medium gap filing glue but it turns chrome hazy. Is there a good all around glue

For the most part, I use Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy on the majority of parts for my models along with thin super glue and occasionally thin Tamiya cement. I started using Epoxy about 15 years ago, and found that it was simply superior to other glues and methods. I can mix tiny amounts within seconds, apply very minimal amounts in a controlled method using a toothpick, and have time to position the parts exactly how I want them. It doesn't fog chrome or glass either. I always have a large paper plate next to my bench where I simply dispense a series of dots in two rows of both parts A and B. I mix the resin and hardener together as needed and assemble whatever I'm working on accordingly. If I do not use all of the tiny dots that I dispensed onto the plate, no worries as you can keep it as is (exposed) with no complications for use another day. Doing so does not affect the resin or hardener whatsoever. I simply could not build a model w/out Epoxy. Simply wait a couple minutes and everything is rock solid. 

i have tried many different glues after model master black bottle was discontinued. i found that faller glue is very similar and i have not had any issues with it. 

i also like tamiya thin plastic cement, but that will destroy the paint if you glue a painted piece. the faller glue is easier to put just a drop and will work fine on painted pieces

https://www.amazon.com/Faller-170492-Expert-Plastic-Cement/dp/B0000WROZ2/ref=asc_df_B0000WROZ2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309833764739&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11462551230405923766&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003932&hvtargid=pla-568103033029&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=62057315659&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309833764739&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11462551230405923766&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003932&hvtargid=pla-568103033029

just to add. i also tried the revell glue and found that it doesnt hold the pieces as nicely as model master did or faller. 

for windows or headlights i will use testors window glue. 

https://www.amazon.com/Testors-3515CT-Clear-Parts-Cement-1oz/dp/B0006N6ZHS/ref=asc_df_B0006N6ZHS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167142066433&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13715668957360569766&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003932&hvtargid=pla-305953979888&psc=1

Edited by MrMiles

The best I have found is Tamiya quick setting thin especially for bare plastic. It has a small brush that you can just touch to a part then hold it in place a few seconds. Then you can apply a little more with the brush into the seam. If you get some on the plastic it evaporates in a couple seconds as long as you don't let your fingers touch it.  It's also great for seams of two parts like engine halves. For painted surfaces I use Locite Super Glue Gel. I put a little blob on a piece of card board or something, then use a toothpick to apply to the part. I also sometimes use Tamiya regular cement for large parts.

Plastic-Struct for , say, engine halves/transmission halves which are either clamped or dry-assembled. IIRC, that type of adhesive is 'M.E.K.' or some such.

Tamiya Extra Thin (green capped bottle) is a little slower-setting 'thin' adhesive/cold weld with similar properties to the aforementioned.

Mod-Podge for clear parts (glass, headlamp lenses, tail lamp lenses) ; sometimes Pledge (et alia) for smaller clear parts.

Tamiya 'Orange' for some parts. Again, slower-setting adhesive -- use sparingly. 

Dollar Store CA ("super") glue for parts which 'require' a fast-setting adhesive. I specify Dollar Store insofar as the red bottle with black cap. For whatever reason, it's the best CA in my opinion. No fogging, easy to use.