Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do any of you recall Jakks Pacific's FLYWHEELS line of large-scale wheel/tire collectibles?

These were from around 15-20 years ago, and were around 1:8 scale IIRC.

I came across this image in my files, collected back then for future reference.  I don't recall seeing the actual product.  They might be of interest for 1:8 kit builders if they're the right size...

1-8 scale wheels  IMG_9483.jpg

Edited by Brian Austin

Yes, I remember those! sold in blister packs at Toys r us and Meijer, maybe, KB toys also. Bought 4 ET type/Style mags to use on 1/8th Monogram kits. THEY worked like a Kenner SSP car !Pull the rip cord and let her rip. Bet a lot of them got lost also! LOL

I have collected and modified a few of them. They are just under 1/8 scale IIRC, closer to 1/10, so not ideal for 1/8 unless you like 14" 1/8 scale wheels. The 16" Galaxy wheel was a good fit in the Monogram tires, I think, but very '90s looking.

Well, 1:10 scale R/C trucks are popular now.  🙂

Thanks for the info.  I stumbled upon that image file and vaguely remembered some discussion on the Hobby Heaven board regarding those.

I think it's fascinating how wheel styles can be stuck in a particular era.

Retro in someone's eyes doesn't have mean that they have to be automatically discounted, or that one can't use them in a contemporary model.  You can even tout the fact that you are using "retro" wheels on it.  What's old can be new again. Everything seems to happen in cycles.