Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Chevy Nova Pro Street - Engine size?

Greetings,

Hoping someone out there can help me with this. I just purchased the AMT 1966 Chevy Nova Pro Street (AMT 636) and I'm wondering what is the engine size? I'm hoping it's a 427? If it's not...what's the best kit for a Chevy 427?

Appreciate your help.

Jerry

That kit -and its stock relative- have the L79 which is the 327; a small block (i.e., could be any 'displacement' one wishes it to be). 

Insofar as a '427' (Mark IV, et al.), the engine from the 1968 El Camino is a good starting place; the 454 from the 1970 Monte Carlo is another (both big block/TH-400 versions). The Baldwin-Motion '70 Camaro has a really nice 454/4-speed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jlucky said:

Perfect...thanks so much for the speedy reply. That was extremely helpful. I guess now I have a Chevy Nova that I'm not going to build. :( 

You have three choices.

1) Build it as it came out of the box.🙂

2) Use it as a starting point to build it as you would a real one if you had unlimited resources.😃

3) Give up on it.😕

In my limited experience, Chevy big block engines seem to be more common in model kits.  Also, many model kits have more room in the engine bay than their 1:1 counterparts.

Maybe someone on here would trade parts with you if you start a post in the Wanted section.