Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can anyone ID these tires? I'm in need of two of them.... (actually need four tires)

JollySipper

I have these two tires that I'll be using for the rears on this project I've started... I'm not sure what scale they are, probably 1/24, because a 1/25 17" rim fits them perfect. They are rather big and meaty tires...... There's no lips or ridges in the center, it's just smooth...... I tried to capture the treads the best I could.

SDC10607.JPG.fcfc47dab04708bc9c89bed73b67a5e9.JPG

SDC10609.JPG.383e4c97d71bfd391c83cc1105999563.JPG

They just happen to be the right size, figures I would only have two!

If anyone can identify these, or better yet if you have a couple of them, please let me know!

Thanks.......

Edited by JollySipper

Those look like the rear tires from the Testors Alumacoupe kit.  Jimmy Flintstone used them in at least one of the resin kits that he did for Testors.  Later he sold packs of those tires, probably after he stopped doing those kits.

• Like 1

Be extremely careful about what wheel you mount those on, unless you have some of the American Satco copies because the Testors tires will split and come apart if they are put on any wheel that they don't just fall into and even on those I'd put a wrap of masking tape on the wheel to prevent it from coming into contact with the tires since I don't know if it's the contact with the plastic rims or the slight amount of pressure exerted on them when pushing the tires on the rims. But I do know that I have unmounted tires that are still perfect and I have ones that cracked and split in several places in just a few weeks of being mounted up and it's not only the Aluma Coupe ones but the Boyd's Shop truck and the Chezoom kits with the softer tires I know the ones that I consider junk because they are a very hard plastic haven't split yet but they aren't very appealing for anything where you will be able to see the back side of them.

I'm glad you told me of the issue with these tires! This will be a 'forever' build, one I plan on keeping. Andy mentioned the AMT Phantom Vicky.... Would those tires be about the same size as the ones I have here? They look very similar! Even the tread's about the same.........

• JollySipper changed the title to Can anyone ID these tires? I'm in need of two of them.... (actually need four tires)
9 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Andy mentioned the AMT Phantom Vicky.... 

Those are not the AMT Phantom Vickie's tires, but I think they are supposed to be based on the same 1:1 tire design. Note the tread on the Vickie's tire is much more pronounced/chunkier:

apv.jpg.38e39206f5de83065e16d35201de9d00.jpg

Phantom Vickie and '39 Wagon Rod used the same tires, they are Plymouth Prowler tires.  The Testors rear tires have taller sidewalls.  I don't know offhand which tires have a larger center hole.

56 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Casey, I've sent you a PM............. :)

Just FYI...the pre-decorated version of the Phantom Vickie used to pop up really cheap on feePay.

It was one of those kits nobody wanted, even though it's a great parts source, and everything strips easy in 91% isopropyl.