Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the best way to make an engine look used but not rusty and decrepit

What's the best way to make an engine look used but not rusty and decrepit. For example I'm looking for what would be equivalent to a car that has been used for a couple of years. So not paint chipped or rusty but not shiny showroom fresh either

For me, I make all my models look that way.  A showroom car rarely stays bright and fresh inside and out.  Best way is to look at your own car as an example.
Generally I tend to flatten the paint slightly using Testors Dullcote Lacquer.  Then mix up some wash with flat black and thinner.  Water based paints are good for this because they will not attack the based colors.  A light black wash is a great way to bring out details too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Respectfully submitted...

• Like 2

I agree with the washes.

Some dry brushing with a little thinned acrylic craft paint, and some dabbing and wiping here and there with damp Q-tips after it dries a bit can help to add typical dirt and grime to an engine and chassis as well.

I used basically 3 colors of flat craft paint on this engine and chassis.

A wash of oily dark brown.

Then in select areas, a dry brushing of a rusty reddish brown, some dirty light tan to simulate road grime, an finally a little dabbing here and there with more of the oily brown.

Just remember that once you start heading down this path, you're going to want to treat the engine bay and chassis in the same fashion to keep it convincing.

There's no such thing as a car with a grungy engine and a squeaky clean engine bay and chassis. ;)

My objective with this project was to depict a vehicle that's been well used under regular, normal driving conditions for a few years.

A well maintained body and interior with a typical grungy and dirty engine bay and chassis.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

I agree with all that's been said above.   

The only thing I would add is another option for picking out details would be Tamiya panel line accent.   Won't really do anything different than the washes mentioned above.   Just another possibility.   And it's super easy to use. 

Another possibility might be Mr. Weathering Color.  This one I haven't tried yet.   But results I've seen on YouTube look promising.   I plan to give it a shot very soon. 

Edited by atomicholiday

16 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

Steve, do shoot a gloss coat before applying washes?   I've seen that done by the airplane and armor guys. 

Not necessarily for any particular weathering purpose.

If the part was originally supposed to be shiny, I shoot it with gloss.

If it wasn't, I don't.

If you look at the '64 Pontiac chassis you'll most likely be able to tell that some of the parts were painted with gloss paint, (or gloss coated) and some were not prior to weathering.

I think this approach gives a good mix of textures and sheens.

The frame itself, as well as most of the suspension parts were gloss.

The chassis pan and exhaust pipes were not.

The front fender wells were also painted satin black.

spacer.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think what I would do here is to dry brush the orange back onto the engine. This needs to be done with an old brush with almost no paint on it. Wipe it on a paper towel until almost nothing comes off. Then hit the corners and high spots until you're satisfied with the results. Again, I'd suggest practicing on a spare engine to get the feel of it.

Edited by redscampi
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

I tried to black wash the engine. I think it's too much but I can't seem to be able to get it off now. 

IMG20230618154437.jpg

IMG20230618154447.jpg

What paint did you use for the wash?

That’s one of the advantages of using craft paint.

If you don’t like the result, you can easily wash it off with warm water.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMiles said:

I tried to black wash the engine. I think it's too much but I can't seem to be able to get it off now. 

IMG20230618154437.jpg

IMG20230618154447.jpg

What did you use for a wash?  You might be able to clean it up with a cotton swab and something like isopropyl alcohol.  But that depends on your wash.  Don’t saturate the swab.  Just get it damp.  
Be careful using this technique on the chrome.  I’ve had issues there before.  Don’t “scrub” it. Just wipe over it lightly a time or two.

edit- meant to say isopropyl alcohol.  Not denatured.

Edited by atomicholiday

Miles your engine looks just fine!  Ever time I weather up something I think I went too far but it looks better the next day!  Just the act of walking away from it and seeing it fresh!

Also you are looking at the whole engine. Perspective changes when it’s in the model

26 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Miles your engine looks just fine!  Ever time I weather up something I think I went too far but it looks better the next day!  Just the act of walking away from it and seeing it fresh!

Also you are looking at the whole engine. Perspective changes when it’s in the model

And it’s my view that it’s pretty hard to screw up weathering.

Grunge doesn’t have standards. 😊

Steve

• Haha 1

Here it is with the starter. I straightened out the starter after taking the picture. I didn't realize how crooked it was until after 

13 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

You were right. It definitely looks better to me today. Way better than if I left it super shiny

IMG20230619072012.jpg

Edited by MrMiles
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Steven G:  You do some fantastic work!  Absolutely the way a well used but well taken care of ride should look like.

I appreciate that Charles.

I just want people to know that weathering such as this is not difficult.

This is only about my 2nd attempt at weathering a chassis and engine bay, and I’m pleased with how it turned out.

People just need to remember that it’s really not possible to mess up dirt. 😊

Steve

Steve:  You did an outstanding job.  I've seen a lot of attempts at weathering with gobs of dirt 2" round sticking to things! It has to be subtle and it has to be done with some knowledge of how things wear and where the grease and oil accumulate to be done right.  You obviously know how to get it done.

If your engine has "weathered" or aged, one thing that stands out to me is those clean iron exhaust manifolds. Rust 'em! Wash some thin brown  over them, and maybe pat a dry brush of a slightly lighter or darker brown over that. You are on the right track, the engine's looking believable!

30 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

If your engine has "weathered" or aged, one thing that stands out to me is those clean iron exhaust manifolds. Rust 'em! Wash some thin brown  over them, and maybe pat a dry brush of a slightly lighter or darker brown over that. You are on the right track, the engine's looking believable!

True.

The first thing that happens when you start up an engine, is that the heat burns the paint off of the exhaust manifolds in very short order, leaving bare metal, that rusts almost as quickly as the paint burns off! 😊

Steve

2 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Steve:  You did an outstanding job.  I've seen a lot of attempts at weathering with gobs of dirt 2" round sticking to things! It has to be subtle and it has to be done with some knowledge of how things wear and where the grease and oil accumulate to be done right.  You obviously know how to get it done.

You might be very surprised at how little I do know about this kind of stuff. 😉

I just applied stuff until I thought it looked good. 😊

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

True.

The first thing that happens when you start up an engine, is that the heat burns the paint off of the exhaust manifolds in very short order, leaving bare metal, that rusts almost as quickly as the paint burns off! 😊

Steve

Thank you. Great point. I just ordered some rust wash from Amazon