Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 1967 Mazda cosmo.

Brudda

A DeAgostini 1/8 Mazda cosmo. 1967. Kind of a funky little car. Total 1967 Japanese design. Meaning it’s a little weird. The quality of the model seems pretty good but it’s early in the game. Here goes. It also comes with a rotary engine, a big one for display. Comes with one in the car also, here goes……

IMG_8659.jpeg

IMG_8656.jpeg

IMG_8654.jpeg

Cool. Surprised somebody tooled-up to produce a large-scale, expensive model of a relatively obscure car not well known these days.

Lots of styling influences from other cars...T-bird, Alfa Duetto, etc.

First time I saw an R100, I thought how well the little engine would fit in a Bug. I wrote to Toyo Kogyo asking for drawings of the trans mounting flange on the case and the flywheel/clutch assembly, never really expecting a response to a query from just some unknown guy. Couple weeks later they sent me a full set of engine exterior blueprints. Times sure have changed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Cool. Surprised somebody tooled-up to produce a large-scale, expensive model of a relatively obscure car not well known these days.

Lots of styling influences from other cars...T-bird, Alfa Duetto, etc.

First time I saw an R100, I thought how well the little engine would fit in a Bug. I wrote to Toyo Kogyo asking for drawings of the trans mounting flange on the case and the flywheel/clutch assembly, never really expecting a response to a query from just some unknown guy. Couple weeks later they sent me a full set of engine exterior blueprints. Times sure have changed.

WOW really cool. 

Very interesting and unexpected subject. Things look quite good so far, though I must say I am disappointed to see the bonnet chrome script represented with a tampo printed (or whatever) solution. Using decals or tampo printing of body script fails completely in 1/25, and I would think is most inexcusable in 1/8. Nonetheless, very cool subject, and I'm looking forward to watching it come together.

13 hours ago, Bainford said:

Very interesting and unexpected subject. Things look quite good so far, though I must say I am disappointed to see the bonnet chrome script represented with a tampo printed (or whatever) solution. Using decals or tampo printing of body script fails completely in 1/25, and I would think is most inexcusable in 1/8. Nonetheless, very cool subject, and I'm looking forward to watching it come together.

Thank you Bainford. That decal ( more like an outline) is just there so you can put the pe emblem over it. I think it’s pe. Here is a pic of it. Have assembled the front suspension. Has adjustable shocks. So far it’s an easy assembly. The big motor is for display. It is not totally assembled yet. . Has batteries so it must do something. 

IMG_8669.jpeg

IMG_8668.jpeg

IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8666.jpeg

IMG_8664.jpeg

IMG_8663.jpeg

8 hours ago, Brudda said:

Thank you Bainford. That decal ( more like an outline) is just there so you can put the pe emblem over it. I think it’s pe. Here is a pic of it.

Cheers Bruce. Much better. Thanks for the explanation. Very interesting subject matter here, and the large display engine is a really cool touch..

11 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Pretty cool looking kit. 

Thank you Ray, yes it fits real good so far. Weird subject. Not usually my cup of tea. As far as fit and finish goes, it’s right with the Toyota 2000 GT. 

On 7/4/2023 at 11:23 PM, Mittagskind said:

The seats look very realistic and in generally the kit seems to be in high quality.

I wish the Miura I did had this quality. The fit and finish is really good. The Miura was a fight. 

Ok…. Changing direction on this build. Was going to build it out of box but  changed my mind. . The color is going to be a white pearl with a blue cast. I have a pic of the pearl to give you an idea what it looks like.   Probably going to have to modify the suspension to lower the car. Bought some 1/8 scale rc tires and wheels. Machined the back of the wheels to fit. Going to paint the rims. Now the build is fun. Was supposed to build it out of box for DeAgostini, but cannot do it stock. I will get in trouble but … oh well. Prepping the body for paint. The white is a great base for the pearl. ………   I am instructed to build a gull wing Mercedes for  Agora . My friend Mark is letting me loose on this kit. Soo it will be black with a red interior. Getting ahead of myself. 

IMG_8799.jpeg

IMG_8801.jpeg

IMG_8796.jpeg

IMG_8797.jpeg

IMG_8795.jpeg

IMG_8794.jpeg

• Like 2

This is the first time that I have checked in on this thread.  Wow!, I’m glad I did.  I agree about the uniqueness of this car.  For me it is one of those, the more I see it, the more I like it.  I can’t wait to see the next update on this one.

11 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

This is the first time that I have checked in on this thread.  Wow!, I’m glad I did.  I agree about the uniqueness of this car.  For me it is one of those, the more I see it, the more I like it.  I can’t wait to see the next update on this one.

Hello John, this is a strange little car. It has a lot of innovation. Wankel engine, rear suspension is a little different. The car redlined at 9000 rpm. The styling is a little different. Has a little pininfarina front with a t bird like rear. Cool little car. Was expensive for the time. Like the 2000 GT Toyota. You could buy a 427 corvette for the same price. So it did not sell well in the US. Only around 1500 were made, and out of those only a few made it to America.