Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1967 Corvette - Original Kit - Completed

MrMiles

Now that I finished the MPC Corvette I decided to build another boxed classic, an AMT 1967 Corvette release date of 1967/68. This kit was originally sealed with a price stick of just over 1.25 on sale. The instructions have slightly discolored but don't seem too brittle 

I'm going to build it stock. The plan is going to be white with a light blue interior. I. Going to work completely on the body first instead of last. 

This is my last antique kit that I had in my stash begging to be built 

Completed:

IMG20230701080845.thumb.jpg.0a52d1118462585c608d7ce4a3a768f6.jpgIMG20230701080905.thumb.jpg.297f80262b6de004c39dd61ddeb1d951.jpg

IMG_20230622_194352.jpg

IMG20230622194914.jpg

IMG_20230622_195030.jpg

IMG_20230622_195049.jpg

IMG_20230622_195014.jpg

Edited by MrMiles
  • Like 1

The body has been painted white and is quite glossy. Hard to tell in the picture because it's white. I don't see any dust in the paint. There might be a small spot on the roof but I should be able to compound it out. If it is there. 

Tomorrow I will chrome the car. Today I will move over to the engine since I am waiting on mail for the interior and the body

IMG20230623063930.jpg

Edited by MrMiles
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

This kit is a re-issue of the annual 1967. The price is $2.25 which is the 1971-1973 prices of AMT kits during that period. Inside the box everything is the same as 1967 annual.

thank you for the info.

I bought it from gasoline alley and it said it was a 60's issue, but if i had to guess, they got that date from scalemates because it has that info as well.  

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-t238-225-67-corvette--1255721

i am curious of what year it was originally purchased since it was on sale for 1.25, if the price was 2.25.  thats almost 50% off the original price. its only a dollar off, but percentage wise, its significant.

I dont have the wrapper anymore to check the store name to see if i could find them on google to find the state they were from or any other info. i really enjoy that type of stuff. i dont know why i didnt think to look sooner. EDIT> I just searched through all of my old pictures, and i cant find one of this box before i opened. i would have bet money that i would have taken a picture of it, but i didnt. meh

anyway, thanks again for the info. if it a re-release, Its still a cool box to look at

Edited by MrMiles

My first screw up on the build. I glued the engine halves together and I guess I put too much glue because I put it on a toothpick to hold it up and when I finished with my break I looked and found it fell off the toothpick and the plastic melted away. 

I will puddy it after work to fill the section that's gone. I guess I need to be more careful with how much glue I use on thin pieces

IMG20230623161351.jpg

I did the chrome. It's very thin so it's hard to see on the white. I also put black on the vents. I think it helps a bit. Might be a little too contrasting but it needed something 

I have a blue stripe for the hood. Im going to see if I can use it. It's very old. 

IMG20230623233659.jpg

Edited by MrMiles

I was able to lighten up the vents at the top slightly so they look a lot better. 

The chrome pen doesn't look good on the large strips on the bottom so I'm going to sand it out and use BMF. the old decal i had for the hood did not work. it had no stickyness to it

Edited by MrMiles

The car is built except the bumpers. They were terribly molded. I sanded them down and rechrome them. I just have to wait for it to dry

I couldn't get the hood to stay on so I glued it in place. I also found out the hard way that the engine in stock form using stock hood cant take the lowered look. It pops the hood up. 

Other than that I think it was a generally decent build. I did get a mark on the paint but I sanded it out and respray that spot and it looks fine. Can't tell. 

I'm also still waiting on the decals. 

I will post the picture of the finished car after I put on the bumpers 

• MrMiles changed the title to AMT 1967 Corvette - Original Kit - Completed

The Corvette is complete. The decals have not arrived yet so I will put them on when they come. I'm pretty happy with it but it's not 100%

Onto the international scout from amt

IMG20230701080845.jpg

IMG20230701080905.jpg

Edited by MrMiles
  • Like 1