Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hudson Hornet Colour

I am considering building a second 1953 Hudson Hornet by Moebius in 1:25 scale . . . For the previous build, which turned out very nicely, I chose the two tone paint colour combination of metallic green with a cream roof. I am leaning towards a single paint colour for this second build, which could possibly be black . . .

Here are a couple of photos of a black Hudson Hornet, and I would be using Tamiya paint products. Do you have any thoughts and opinions on this please?

David

L1005912.jpg

L1005941.jpg

That's about a dead ringer for the old Model Master Classic Black enamel. You can use the Tamiya, it will be a bit more stark black or Jet black but not way off. You could make a fine rendering with either if done right.

I wish they made the model in a 4door like that. My dad had one back in the day, it was gold.

Edited by Dave G.

11 hours ago, Dave G. said:

That's about a dead ringer for the old Model Master Classic Black enamel. You can use the Tamiya, it will be a bit more stark black or Jet black but not way off. You could make a fine rendering with either if done right.

I wish they made the model in a 4door like that. My dad had one back in the day, it was gold.

Thanks Dave G . . . I agree, that the 4-door would be nice to have as a model, but of course the Moebius car for 1953 is a 2-door.

Sounds like your Dad's gold 4-door Hudson was a really special motor car.

David W.

9 hours ago, bbowser said:

Pretty much any car looks good in black but it's hard to pull off, prep work must be perfect.  I say go for it!

Yes Bruce . . . The thought had crossed my mind that black does require more preparation, and the whole process has to be absolutely perfect to get the best finish . . . All of my previous Rolls-Royce builds have tended to be dark greys and dark greens, rather than black.

I shall most likely go for it, and thanks for your advice  !

David W.

1 hour ago, espo said:

Built a Hudson that I painted with Tamiya Black and clear. DSCN0577.thumb.JPG.29d82f202ea455b7d34ba82e81160e90.JPG

Well that Hudson of yours looks really classy David E . . . My choice would be Tamiya TS-14 Black, TS-13 Clear and Fine Surface Primer (Light Gray).

Plenty of BMF work there too !

David W.

16 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Well that Hudson of yours looks really classy David E . . . My choice would be Tamiya TS-14 Black, TS-13 Clear and Fine Surface Primer (Light Gray).

Plenty of BMF work there too !

David W.

You mentioned that you wanted to know what a black Hudson might look like. This was built a few years ago and I did use Tamiya paints, in fact the exact colors you mention. Hope this gives you an idea of what it would look like. This was sprayed straight from the cans and just the minimal polishing with Tamiya Finish wax. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

You mentioned that you wanted to know what a black Hudson might look like. This was built a few years ago and I did use Tamiya paints, in fact the exact colors you mention. Hope this gives you an idea of what it would look like. This was sprayed straight from the cans and just the minimal polishing with Tamiya Finish wax. 

Thank you David E . . . My process would be to wash the body parts in warm soapy water, rinse and dry, then wet sanding with 600 grit, spray the grey primer from the can (2 coats, 5 minutes between coats), further wet sanding with 600 grit, then spray the black from the can (2 coats, 5 minutes between coats), no further sanding, spray the clear from the can, leave to cure for between 5 and 7 days, then Tamiya Polishing Compound in 3 stages, Coarse, Fine and Finish.

Your Hudson looks great, and it shows me what to expect, so thanks again.

David W.

• Like 1