Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes AMG GT

70 Sting

I saw this car on the road a number of months back and immediately started looking for a kit to purchase online.

Painted Zero Paints Hell Green and clear costed with Tamiya LP-24 Semi Gloss Clear. The interior is semi gloss black and German Grey darkened with a little black. I purchased the Hobby Design Trans Kit and Zero Designs window masks. To utilize the trans kit, the hood and side vents had to be cut from the body and the 2 headlight assemblies had to be cut off the supplied all encompassing front end piece inside the kit.

19480666_01BoxDetailSetPaint.JPG.64c45c31856f5e392efcd28aad4c06fd.JPG

What I learned from this build

1. The panel lines were very shallow on this kit. As a result I got plenty of practice filling in all the little slips with various putties.

2. Zero Designs pre-cut window masks were not an accurate match to the frosted areas marked on the glass. Plus the glue left residue behind. Not the first time either.

3. I used Alclad Aqua Gloss to simulate piano black on various parts in the interior. This was easy enough to brush paint over previously painted semi gloss black parts.

4. I cheated a bit with interior detailing by using grey panel liner to fill in details. I did this before discovering...

5. Prisma Color Pencils. I will be using these going forward for many finer details. Thanks Joe  :^)

6. I'm not sure I like the carbon fibre roof. If I were to build this kit again I'd stick with the body colour.  I had a difficult time smoothing all the wrinkles out but Micro Sol eventually did the trick. To compound the issue, I created a few blemishes in the decal when clear coating it. I believe I either did not allow enough drying time between coats or too little time which caused the clear to reactivate or pull on the previous layer of clear. :^(

7. Had a problem with the photo etch hood grills. The tiny mounting tabs required a double bend to attach inside the opening. 6 of the 8 tabs broke off leaving no contact points. I tried making my own out of mesh, however they were too thick and prevented the hood from closing properly. In the end I used Gaffer’s tape attached from underneath and brush painted the visible sticky side with Testors Dullcote.

8. Photo Etch parts are a pain in the butt to work with. Black CA glue is a real help here. Having said that, no one says you have to use all the parts.

9. The front wheel wells did not fit flush with the body because of modifications required to add the the trans kit front end and PE parts. I had to Dremel off a couple millimetres of material from the headlight assemblies to raise the wheel wells/chassis. In the end, it probably could have been dropped another millimetre or so.

Overall it was an enjoyable kit to build.

875428505_04VentsRemoved.jpg.fd4d960f4ce09f3a3542455eb62f6d97.jpg1100135519_11SideVent.jpg.70eae48dea50b7f618977d33c4d9487d.jpg1218435160_12HoodVents.jpg.4542453dc8414e9c641cfee8cfaa9a5c.jpg576026846_09Interior.jpg.a1bebbd1e0907cf341bc7a9f5bac801f.jpg1323218234_10Interior.jpg.f13a32431c4d030525ac70d73c9280a7.jpg1547829710_MecedesAMGGT_01.jpg.938595b8259dddc89e32f84a22e0b6f6.jpg1636184453_MecedesAMGGT_03.jpg.64e72c6ecc5080610597e971babf9266.jpg49931515_MecedesAMGGT_05.jpg.a1b409fd665267520428695e362cd4c7.jpg530701470_MecedesAMGGT_11.jpg.5e26b369411d55ae0b428efeeb95e70d.jpg1281040212_MecedesAMGGT_13.jpg.97985056c489add6ef2de5d27f1b1810.jpg318201897_MecedesAMGGT_14.jpg.3519a6a1b95dbb0037de485b14d3a99c.jpg

• Like 12

beautiful job! not sure what you use for scribing panels, but i just got a great little tool from hasegawa that makes super shallow lines much easier to deepen. here's the link https://a.co/d/09yI7JG

i do a few light passes with the hasegawa prior to breaking out the bigger tamiya panel scriber, and now i rarely slip out and scratch up the body.  it also helps keep the lines nice and straight and bump free. probably the most useful tool i bought this year.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your extra efforts on the detailing really show. A lot of metallic in the green paint shows and the lighting also accents the body lines. The interior and under hood areas are nicely detailed and the small decals and gauges show well. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, radiohd10 said:

beautiful job! not sure what you use for scribing panels, but i just got a great little tool from hasegawa that makes super shallow lines much easier to deepen. here's the link https://a.co/d/09yI7JG

i do a few light passes with the hasegawa prior to breaking out the bigger tamiya panel scriber, and now i rarely slip out and scratch up the body.  it also helps keep the lines nice and straight and bump free. probably the most useful tool i bought this year.   

Hmm, that is an interesting technique as I do not enjoy scribing - especially when approaching curves.  The Hasegawa tool you link to above looks a lot like this scriber/engraver tip from Tamiya:  https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74148/index.htm

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jim B said:

Beautiful Mecedes-AMG.  I really like this car.  I finished up the Tamiya GT3 race car version a little while ago.

Thanks Jim.  I’ve had my eye on the GT3 kit as well.  Being a Tamiya kit, I assume it went together with no real issues?

20 hours ago, espo said:

Your extra efforts on the detailing really show. A lot of metallic in the green paint shows and the lighting also accents the body lines. The interior and under hood areas are nicely detailed and the small decals and gauges show well. 

Thanks espo.  I was pleasantly surprised with the metallic flakes in the paint as they are numerous and don't look too out of scale.

43 minutes ago, 70 Sting said:

Thanks Jim.  I’ve had my eye on the GT3 kit as well.  Being a Tamiya kit, I assume it went together with no real issues?

The only issue I had were the tail lights, and for some reason, the mirrors.  Go figure.  Other than that, the car went together quite well.

It is curbside, but that doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim B said:

The only issue I had were the tail lights, and for some reason, the mirrors.  Go figure.  Other than that, the car went together quite well.

It is curbside, but that doesn't bother me.

Not sure how I missed this one.  Great looking build.  You should definitely build a second one with the EVO conversion. Just imagine how nice these two would look sitting side by side on display. 😎

23 hours ago, Street Rod said:

You may have had a couple hiccups along the way, but the finished car looks great! Really like all the details and I love that green! I’m gonna keep it mind for using on something in future.

Thanks S.R. The colour warmer in the photos than with the eye, but overall I'm pleased with it.

4 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Nice job on the mercedes. Awesome interior, All your extra work paid off. Great color to suit.

Thanks Mario. There are some kits that are worth the extra effort... while on others I'd be more likely to mail it in a bit. 🤭

On 7/24/2023 at 6:21 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

Harry....the color on this is very striking and you did an awesome jb on the interior and engine.  Always like your posts..you do a great job explaining and sharing your experiences.  Thank you for that.

I truly appreciate that Rich.  I'm not as eloquent as I'd like to be and it's sometimes difficult to express in words something that is a visual media. :^)

22 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Hmm, that is an interesting technique as I do not enjoy scribing - especially when approaching curves.  The Hasegawa tool you link to above looks a lot like this scriber/engraver tip from Tamiya:  https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74148/index.htm

yep - very similar.  I bought it mainly for the curves and it works like a dream.  give it a whirl!

• Like 1