Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford LN 8000 question

Hi guys, have a question.  Building the AMT Ford LN 8000 Race Car Hauler and am wondering if anybody can place the year of this truck. I'm thinking it is a 70's truck.  What I really am looking for is what is the engine so I can detail it. I know basically nothing about these trucks. Any info on this truck so I can do more specific searches would be helpful.  Thanks.

The Ford Louisville was introduced in 1970. According to scalemates, the kit was first issued in 1971, so that should set the year. There was very little change in these trucks during the 70s. I am not an expert on these things, especially the Caterpillar engine family, which always confuses me, but I believe the engine in the kit is a Cat v175. It certainly looks like one, with those funky shaped valve covers.

I'm sure one of the truck gurus will chime in with more solid info.

The engine in the kit is supposed to be a Caterpillar 3208, but it's actually an older 1160.  This might help with your detailing of the engine:

CM09 Sept 1991 Caterpillar 3208 diesel album | Dutch Model Truck Club | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

In this era Ford, the engine would either be Ford Blue, or Cat Yellow, but predominantly Ford Blue.

The engine is technically a v225 Ford Engine made by Cat. If you look at the valve cover in the kit, it says V225. Jim is right, the V225 was just an 1160 Cat. This would have been early 70s. The 1100 Cat engines were very similar to the 3208 Cats found in later models. I converted (for the most part) one into a 3208 for my F8000 that I am working on now. 

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71