Model Cars Magazine Forum

A glue question ?

Rick Wolfe

I'm in the middle of building Atlantis Earth vs. the flying saucers and it includes a cardboard back drop of the capital and I made a wooden display for it, So what spray glue should I use so the cardboard doesn't wrinkle ? Thank you, I even bought a couple of robots for this and their about the size of a grain of rice. Again Think you.

Thank you Les, yes I thought about double sided tape but I was afraid after awhile the tape would start loseing it's sticky-ness and start to peel, if nothing come up by the end of the week I'll use the D/S tape, have plenty of it at work. Thank you for taking the time for answering, Rick

5 hours ago, Rick Wolfe said:

Thank you Les, yes I thought about double sided tape but I was afraid after awhile the tape would start loseing it's sticky-ness and start to peel, if nothing come up by the end of the week I'll use the D/S tape, have plenty of it at work. Thank you for taking the time for answering, Rick

if you get the carpet tape version it wont lift as long as the surfaces are clean. the normal double sided tape tends to be for lighter things like scrapbooking. It doesn't hold heavier iten that well while the carpet tape will stick a carpet to walls and keep holding on.

Thank you Charles, the reason I'm asking is I don't want to use a glue and a little while later it starts to wrinkle the cardboard, I think I'll use Les's idea and use double sided tape, and also I use d/s tape at work and as our model club says Free stuff rules, Again thank you for taking the time. if I can figure out how to post I try and post a few pictures. 

The old-fashion "stinky" (not water-based) contact cement should not wrinkle cardboard or paper.  Also any spray adhesives that are not water-based should not wrinkle cardboard or paper - they are designed to be compatible with paper.  If you are worried, try it on some similar type of cardboard or even paper.

As far as carpet tape goes, unlike masking or duct tapes it has a very strong and permanent (read long-lasting) adhesive. Should be permanent.