Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘70 Corvette ZR-1 rims

Just reading the car info in the instructions for the amt ‘70 Corvette ZR-1, and it talks about some of the factory deletes.  It says the ZR-1 came with only plain steel rims, no trim rings or center caps.

Intrigued and possibly inspired, I set off for Google to find pics.  Nothing!  I can’t find a single picture that shows ANY ‘70 Vette with plain steelies.  They all have trim rings with caps.  I’m guessing original owners put the parts on?🤔

Any of you guys seen pics of one in stock trim, without the extras?

The amt kit has both options.

I don’t know much about Corvettes, but this is what I found. It says the PO2 wheel covers are deleted. They were an option on regular Corvettes however, not standard. I believe the ZR1’s came with trim rings and center caps only…no PO2 option available. I think AMT is mistaken.🤔

“In addition to the LT1 engine, Corvettes ordered with RPO ZR1 came equipped with the M22 “Rockcrusher” transmission, heavy-duty power brakes with dual-pin front brake calipers (J56), a transistor ignition, a special aluminum radiator and a heavier-duty suspension package that included bolstered 7-leaf rear springs, shocks and heavy-duty 5/8 inch front sway bars and rear spindle struts/stabilizer bars.   The car also came equipped with metal fan shrouds.  Moreover, when ordering a ZR1, the following options were deleted from the Corvette, including: a rear window defroster (C50), air-conditioning (C60), power steering (N40), deluxe wheel covers (P02), the alarm system (UA6), AM/FM radio (U69) and AM/FM Radio, stereo (U79).”

https://www.corvsport.com/1970-1972-corvette-zr1/#google_vignette

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I think AMT is mistaken.🤔

I think you’re right.  That’s one of the same sites I found before posting here.  That, and another corvette site where a model builder was asking questions about the same kit and same options.  But none of the answers were very clear and to the point.

It could make an interesting “what if” car though.  Maybe like a track pack option.

6 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

I think you’re right.  That’s one of the same sites I found before posting here.  That, and another corvette site where a model builder was asking questions about the same kit and same options.  But none of the answers were very clear and to the point.

It could make an interesting “what if” car though.  Maybe like a track pack option.

Something like this?

IMG_6833.jpeg.fef2b56b9dff749dfbfe1500862fefd5.jpeg
Another article on Corvette hub caps:

https://www.motortrend.com/vehicle-genres/chevrolet-corvette-wheels-1953-1996-design-history/

If your looking for a set of bare rally wheels like in Gregs pic above, get the ones from the MPC '75 convertible kit. They're much better then the ones included in the AMT ZR-1 kit. 

The ones in the AMT kit are too shallow and the slots too small. 

Here's a pic of the MPC wheels.

130 3019

13 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

That’s kinda where my head is going.  But not beat up.  I’m just in the concept phase right now.  Who knows where I’ll end up.  But right now I’m sort of thinking along the lines of a phantom factory-stock track-ready car like you used to be able to order from the big three back in the sixties.  Sound cool to you guys?

12 hours ago, Can-Con said:

If your looking for a set of bare rally wheels like in Gregs pic above, get the ones from the MPC '75 convertible kit. They're much better then the ones included in the AMT ZR-1 kit. 

The ones in the AMT kit are too shallow and the slots too small. 

Here's a pic of the MPC wheels.

130 3019

Those are pretty sweet.  I think I have an older boxing of that kit around here somewhere.🤔

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Here's the no-trim-ring Rallye wheels in the AMT-Ertl kit.  The model itself is a kitbash of what would be a 1971 Corvette ZR-2 (454 engine) in WarBonnet Yellow metallic....

DSC 0309More images here if you are interested....TB  

That looks really cool Tim.  I like what you did with this one.   This kinda throws a little more fuel on the fire too. 

I'm still kicking some ideas around.   The more I think about it, the more I want to create a fictional factory stock race car.   Like it could ordered that way.   

My model building plans change from day to day, so we'll see where I actually end up.

Thanks for sharing all those beautiful builds!