Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis 1920s Chain Driven Mack Stake Truck.

John M.

I got an E Mail from Atlantis and it says that the company is taking preorders for the 1920s chain driven Mack Stake Truck. It'll come from the old Monogram tooling and will even be molded in yellow and black just as the original Monogram issues were.

With the hundreds of molds that Atlantis purchased from the current owners of Revell back in 2018, the company still has quite a few number of them to crack open and see what gems that are inside.

Edited by John M.

Agreed, John. Who knows what killer blasts from the past Atlantis now has.

Looking forward to getting this Mack, as well as their upcoming Pontiac Grand Am funny car.

And in a perfect world, it would be really nice if Atlantis got the tooling for the Monroe Handler Mustang II, as well as Sunbird/Monza variants!

9ab7d10fe9a68acca90a751b22f1f9b1-2015105989.jpg

revell_7204_california-cobra-sn-1636218378.jpg

Revell+7114+Cobra+MustIII-4498000.jpg

formula-sunbird-box-1250791479.jpg

c0f3c11f3cbef2b8b055b35d2875e10f-157144126.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stef said:

Looking forward to getting this Mack, as well as their upcoming Pontiac Grand Am funny car.

And in a perfect world, it would be really nice if Atlantis got the tooling for the Monroe Handler Mustang II, as well as Sunbird/Monza variants!

I built the Monroe handler and California cobra when I was a kid.   I'd love to see that tooling come back. 

16 hours ago, Stef said:

Would like all these back and the Revell Ice Patrol back again for sure!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stef said:

There would be lots of cheers if Atlantis worked out licensing deals with Ford and Chrysler like it did with GM.

2 hours ago, John M. said:

There would be lots of cheers if Atlantis worked out licensing deals with Ford and Chrysler like it did with GM.

I can't say anything too specific because my employer and our parent company do not allow us to speak as representatives of the company, but..... we are a licensee of, I don't remember, 34? OEMs worldwide. We don't sell things you can hold in your hand, and I don't know if licensing for models, hats, blankets, and other stuff is all handled through the same people. The amount of money we pay to some of the OEMs is shocking. Most of the North American OEMs are represented by a third party. I don't know if the same company licenses Dodge Charger Diaper Bags, and if they do, if it is the same staff that does it. I would be interested in hearing from Steve G how their licenses are negotiated at Round2.

Some OEMs are cool to deal with. Some OEMs ignore email from our two representatives for months. Some of our contracts have been expired for a while, and the OEMs are (seemingly) OK with ignoring that and taking our money. One is OK with forgetting to invoice us, but not delivering what was agreed to.

TL:DR version: OEMs aren't necessarily an adversary, but it has to pencil out if it is worth the license fee for the amount of revenue that can be generated by the license. 

23 hours ago, Jim B said:

This is good news.  Now if I could only find the parts to backdate this to a 1918, that would be great.

Not Sure what parts you would need to backdate this truck other than new rims. Even the hard rubber tires could be re-used.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:24 PM, Rodent said:

I can't say anything too specific because my employer and our parent company do not allow us to speak as representatives of the company, but..... we are a licensee of, I don't remember, 34? OEMs worldwide. We don't sell things you can hold in your hand, and I don't know if licensing for models, hats, blankets, and other stuff is all handled through the same people. The amount of money we pay to some of the OEMs is shocking. Most of the North American OEMs are represented by a third party. I don't know if the same company licenses Dodge Charger Diaper Bags, and if they do, if it is the same staff that does it. I would be interested in hearing from Steve G how their licenses are negotiated at Round2.

Some OEMs are cool to deal with. Some OEMs ignore email from our two representatives for months. Some of our contracts have been expired for a while, and the OEMs are (seemingly) OK with ignoring that and taking our money. One is OK with forgetting to invoice us, but not delivering what was agreed to.

TL:DR version: OEMs aren't necessarily an adversary, but it has to pencil out if it is worth the license fee for the amount of revenue that can be generated by the license. 

Fiat (aka Stellantis, aka Chrysler) is licensed through IMG (of the sports licensing and sports academy fame) when it comes to their plastic models.  

• Thanks 1

In doing more research on the classic Mack Bulldog kit, I see Monogram did (at least) 4 versions: log hauler, stake truck, tanker, and dump truck. In researching actual truck pictures, I've seen some looking particularly cool with what appears to be more modern tires and wheels; very tough looking indeed. Never knew much about these kits before HPI Guy's log hauler review; now thanks to you cats, I want one of these more than ever. Thanks!

z.jpg

Edited by Stef
add pic
  • Like 1