Model Cars Magazine Forum

An under-rated long-roof: Magnum!

customline

This was purchased at my local Hobbytown several years ago when they still had occasional clearance items. It has been sitting in my storage area since the day I brought it home. Looking at it now, I can't believe I didn't start it that day. 

Today I was checking out Rockin' Rodney's short body Chevy wagon and I thought "what a great idea!".......so I pulled out the Magnum kit and looked at it with custom bodywork in mind. It was then I discovered what a terrific kit it is. It's on par with a lot of Revell's Special Edition kits. 110 parts, nice high relief, fresh tooled details. Tinted glass! Opening tail gate. And a Fender Strat! This is a full-blown OOB dream.  My original plan for this kit is hereby canceled.  If anyone else is interested in looking at the whole kit spread out just say so. I will put it up here. Otherwise, I will begin by posting a few pages of the instructions to whet your appetite. The actual bench work may not begin for a few weeks so I can finish some stuff and make room. I'm excited about this kit. I'm going to try very hard to keep it to just normal exo-detailing. It looks like a very good kit to me.

IMG_4704.thumb.jpg.1d01e388ecde8f1cd0b05a101ce05ed8.jpg

If anyone has built it, please feel free to show us here and tell us how it went. Did I say I was excited?

IMG_4708.thumb.jpg.038daf1152d31536711ae2051bc0a306.jpgIMG_4706.thumb.jpg.033fb812c8468332c450d5a700dd6b5e.jpgIMG_4705.thumb.jpg.407f7f78e2ada0ef2bdd8985be674830.jpgIMG_4707.thumb.jpg.be057790c5a9ee75185865f7d701c433.jpg

I gotta say, though, the skill level may be higher than a 2 due to the paint sequence requirements.  Gotta have a plan for that for sure (I have trouble with that 😔.)

Edited by customline
More B.S.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with you on this kit. I built one a couple of years ago and look forward to seeing yours, I may even build another since I like the 1:1 car and as you pointed out, this is a really nice kit. I'll be looking over your shoulder. 

16 hours ago, Darbo said:

Don’t think I have seen many of these built before?

Not surprising; Hobby Town cut the price almost in half to get rid of it. 

16 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Always thought these were cool on the street in my city. Didn't know about the kit. Glad you are doing stock. Fun to watch this.

Well....I've been thinking...I've never seen the logic in making this wagon, which seemed kinda sporty, a 4 door, especially with that down sloping roof. There were better wagon-like vehicles and this one was a hemi-powered high performance model. It should only have two doors up front. They would have sold a bunch more, imho.

14 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I see one on the road now and then, always liked wagons of any type.

My old boss-lady drove a red one. I liked the idea of a cool wagon-like ride but a mini-van is way more practical,  though. Just sayin'.

8 hours ago, espo said:

I agree with you on this kit. I built one a couple of years ago and look forward to seeing yours, I may even build another since I like the 1:1 car and as you pointed out, this is a really nice kit. I'll be looking over your shoulder. 

Is there anything I should know about any difficulties I might run into. It would be great if you wanted to post it here, Dave. That goes for anyone else too. 

I can't help myself. I know I said it would be OOB but there are possibilities here that just cannot be ignored. I'm feeling it. Somebody help me! 😭.... I gotta go lock up my razor saw.

Thanks for stopping by, gents. 🤓

Edited by customline

Let me join the choir:  this is a great kit. I've built two and have recently conjured up a ideas for a couple more Maggies.

Here's a couple I threw together for a 24-hour build [Full disclosure - I missed the deadline by a couple of hours, but it was close!].

AZ DPS HIGHWAY PATROL

When I built this one, the AZ Highway Patrol was toying with ideas for new markings. This was my suggestion - capitalizing on the old copper colored patrol cars from the late 20's and early 30's. 

IMG_2722.jpg.fb1dde50ae947ec32fd8d7ce30ef2cb0.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg.159b1865f168597cce383a7459fd9f8c.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg.bea4afa77f8338e42dcaec15a2b6ef5a.jpg

6s1irspd.png

BAKER COUNTY (FL) SHERIFF

The second was a play on my name. If there's a Baker County somewhere, I've gotta be the 1/25 Sheriff, right? The decals are legit but the Aztec Gold paint was solely my creation. It actually looks pretty good with the green stripes. 

IMG_2740.jpg.377d7ffbd4aa042a8498da63525a6dbf.jpg

IMG_2736.JPG.9e3f40558ccd99a70032983a801d38b8.JPG

IMG_2741.jpg.56611ca0eb78bd0869b895216c1673d5.jpg

Something I would do differently when building a Magnum into a police vehicle -- eliminate the sunroof. I considered it on these two builds, but I really was trying to get them both done in the 24 hour build. 

[Sorry about the oversized pics; I think I've figured out how to moderate them next time.]

Crank out some Magnums, guys!  It's a great kit, well engineered and falls together - nearly builds itself.

Edited by Danno
  • Like 5

EXCELLENT!.....oh...wait.......EXCELLENT!  thanks, uh....officer? ( did anyone notice the lap-top?) Outstanding!

The Magnum SRT8 makes a really great police vehicle, especially for the K9 patrol. Oooooooo.........😮

Edited by customline

Nice builds!

Funny I ran across this. A coworker and I were talking about Magnums. A body shop down the road from his place has a Magnum with a Hell Cat front clip. I told him I want to take a Magnum and put a 2011-2020 300 front clip and taillights on it. Wait for a newer 300 to be released as a kit. I have 7 Magnum kits up on the shelf waiting to be built!

1 hour ago, KC FitiWerks said:

Nice builds!

Funny I ran across this. A coworker and I were talking about Magnums. A body shop down the road from his place has a Magnum with a Hell Cat front clip. I told him I want to take a Magnum and put a 2011-2020 300 front clip and taillights on it. Wait for a newer 300 to be released as a kit. I have 7 Magnum kits up on the shelf waiting to be built!

WOW, MAN ...7  Magnum kits!  ( I learned that from Carl 🙂) you are a Mopar guy, no doubt. Swapping front clips....hmmmm. I like it 🤔

On 8/27/2023 at 9:52 AM, tnungester said:

This is magnum I built several years ago with shaker hood and scoop.

Thanks for looking 

20230827_094709.jpg

20230827_094717.jpg

20230827_094753.jpg

That's a very cool idea, Tom. I happen to have a Shaker set-up from the AMT '70 Challenger hereabouts (that kit came with 3 hoods!) Now I'm reeeeeally feeling it. What a great idea!  I wonder if the 440 would fit 😉.

4 hours ago, KC FitiWerks said:

Nice builds!

I think the old Overhaul'n show with Chip Foose did a Magnum when they were new and got some guy to trade off his Chrysler 300 nose to put on the Magnum. I would like to put the Charger nose on one myself. 

I have only built this one and really didn't have any problems. While I tinted the windows, the interior is really well done and lends itself to a little detail painting. With the low roof line, it is hard to see inside anyway. The rear tail gate, just take your time and it will line up just fine and open and closes easily. 

IMG_1316.JPG.048d7301aaae60caf6ac66a7ac6a7ffd.jpg

• Like 3

Ah yes...they're coming our of the woodwork now.....that's a nice shade of purple, David. Can't wait to get this one started. 😛 I think the charger clip would really work for this. I'm going to look it over again and try to see if what I'm thinking is feasible.  Keep 'em comin'!

Hey David, where'd you get that checkerboard you use for photos?

Edited by customline

18 hours ago, KC FitiWerks said:

Nice builds!

215673_508841362475646_2095012843_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My former VFW post commander owns a black one.  It had been dropped a little bit and has one healthy rumble when he gets a bit heavy-footed.  Here is one I began working on over two years ago, it stonewalled over how to build inner-fenders. Will need to get back on it when I finish three or four more that have been idle for more than two years.

Let's try this again and see if I can post the photos.

Edited by TarheelRick
  • Confused 1