Model Cars Magazine Forum

new guy in the hood

Alyn

Yet another lurker that's decided to come clean. I've been admiring a bunch of the work on this site and thought I'd join the party. I didn't see a forum specifically for intro's, so I figured this is as good a place as any. My apologies if this is out of line.

Like many of you, I spent my model building apprenticeship in my early teens brush painting and building glue bombs. This ended when I discovered full size cars at 16. Now, more than forty years later, I've decided I'll never have a garage like Jay Leno, so the scale versions of my dream cars will have to suffice. I got back into the hobby about a year and a half ago and and am enjoying it immensely. Assuming I do it correctly, I've attached some examples of what I've got going on so far.

IMG_2216c.jpg

IMG_2396c.jpg

IMG_2381c.jpg

Im001934b.jpg

Im001245.jpg

Edited by Alyn

Guest Davkin

Great stuff man! Welcome to the club, you'll fit in nicely. I assume the chassis on the Bonneville car is scratchbuilt? Very nicely done.

David

Yet another lurker that's decided to come clean. I've been admiring a bunch of the work on this site and thought I'd join the party. I didn't see a forum specifically for intro's, so I figured this is as good a place as any. My apologies if this is out of line.

Like many of you, I spent my model building apprenticeship in my early teens brush painting and building glue bombs. This ended when I discovered full size cars at 16. Now, more than forty years later, I've decided I'll never have a garage like Jay Leno, so the scale versions of my dream cars will have to suffice. I got back into the hobby about a year and a half ago and and am enjoying it immensely. Assuming I do it correctly, I've attached some examples of what I've got going on so far.

IMG_2216c.jpg

IMG_2396c.jpg

IMG_2381c.jpg

Im001934b.jpg

Im001245.jpg

As far I'm concerened you're doing it right.

Great stuff man! Welcome to the club, you'll fit in nicely. I assume the chassis on the Bonneville car is scratchbuilt? Very nicely done.

David

The basic frame rails are from the kit, which is the Revell 32 Ford Coupe "American Hotrod" referred to in another post on MCM as "Boyd's Turd"(and I agree). That plus the body and shortblock are about the only parts I used. The tires and seat are from my parts box; everything else is all scratch built. The only exception being a PE seat belt/harness set.

Thanks for the great comments. I meant to post a picture of my roadster with the body on, but messed up. Here's a couple more. The Vette isn't complete yet. I still need to paint it and finish up a few details.IMG_2216c.jpg

IMG_2219c.jpg

Edited by Alyn

The work on the '32 frame is great. Obviously from someone who knows his 1:1's. When you say that the majority of what we see is scratch built (i.e. all but the short-block on the motor, etc.) does this include things like the quick change rear end? Do you fabricate small detail parts like that out of plastic or metal? Thanx for these great models, I'm sure you'll catch up with Jay over time, even if it's only in scale! :wub:

Fantastic build on the '32.

Alyn is being modest. I saw on another web site that his '32 won Theme and BEST OF SHOW at the Drastic Plastics NNL. (I would have given him an award just for going to Nebraska in February!!!)

Great models. We look forward to seeing more.

The work on the '32 frame is great. Obviously from someone who knows his 1:1's. When you say that the majority of what we see is scratch built (i.e. all but the short-block on the motor, etc.) does this include things like the quick change rear end? Do you fabricate small detail parts like that out of plastic or metal? Thanx for these great models, I'm sure you'll catch up with Jay over time, even if it's only in scale! :lol:

Yes, it does. I started with two axle tubes from an early Ford rear end and built the center section from styrene. Considering all the individual parts, there are well over 400 scratch built. Some are brass such as the front axle, steering links, dash panel and steering wheel. The injection stacks are hand flared using 3/32" aluminum tube, Moon hubcaps are made from the bottom of aluminum Sprite cans. There are many other brass and aluminum parts, but the majority of the detail parts are built from styrene.

The Vette is 1/8th scale. My wife bought it for me over 20 years ago when I had to sell off my 1:1 '85 Vette to get a family car for our new (at the time) baby. I started building it back then, and then let it sit for twenty years. At the end of 2007 I decided to get back on it and that got me to thinking that getting into modeling could be fun.

I told my daughter that I might be interested in an old Ford model I'd seen at Michaels with flames on the side. The one I meant was Revell's 31 Ford sedan, but she saw the Boyd 32 which has flames on the box art and assumed that was the one I was talking about. When you open that kit, it's obvious that some scratch building or kit bashing is in your future. I guess I took it to the extreme; couldn't stop making parts...

Now that I"m done with the Bonneville roadster, I hope to get back on the Vette and get it done. I'll post some pics some time down the road in the workbench forum.

thanks for taking a look.

...I told my daughter that I might be interested in an old Ford model I'd seen at Michaels with flames on the side. The one I meant was Revell's 31 Ford sedan, but she saw the Boyd 32 which has flames on the box art and assumed that was the one I was talking about. When you open that kit, it's obvious that some scratch building or kit bashing is in your future. I guess I took it to the extreme; couldn't stop making parts...

Nice save! :o

And I'm glad I aked, it makes a great build even more impressive. Lyle is right...

Welcome to the board.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: Sorry, for not noticing your post till now, Rick. Thanks for the compliment. Thanks even more for all your effort in putting on the show. We're all lucky to have guys like you that put out the extra effort to provide us a place to show our stuff.

thanks!