Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius wrecker?

Bowtienutz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking forward to this one. I assumed it would be out in April like now 😂 

I'm getting a little bored with the ford trucks though,  this body style is having a problem with warped hoods in all the recent kits.. wish they sell just the wrecker bed on its own.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

If Sean manages to get it all together (it's already painted and mostly assembled beyond those raw photos) in time it should be at NNL East tomorrow.

I am a total crack 'ho for anything tow truck/car carrier related. It would be cool if someone just issued a complete bed. So far any resin or 3D printed ones I have bought and or looked at are not up to my standards.

That build looks fantastic. That Bed and the Front Push Bumper are truly life-like.

I hope those are the Kit Tires!

I hope Moebius Offers those wheels and Tires in a parts pack, down the road a bit, too.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 1:29 AM, niteowl7710 said:

If Sean manages to get it all together (it's already painted and mostly assembled beyond those raw photos) in time it should be at NNL East tomorrow.

I saw it, awesome to say the least. I will post a picture later from my phone.

That looks awesome and I can see those flying off the shelf when they get issued. I think/hope that at some point Moebius will use that wrecker bed in other kits either already in their line or in future releases. Awesome job on that build.

On 4/28/2024 at 12:03 PM, bobss396 said:

This looks great. My only complaint is the trim across the middle of the door. It will make it harder to decal a logo on it. 

I will definitely want at least 2 of them.

20240427_122134.jpg

20240427_122122.jpg

You don’t have to put the trim on, however it’s a bump side Ford so it’s pretty much the same either way!

9 hours ago, Jordan White said:

You don’t have to put the trim on, however it’s a bump side Ford so it’s pretty much the same either way!

The trim is separate? That makes it easy. I never recall seeing a tow truck with trim across the door and I helped build a few Ford wreckers many years ago.

2 hours ago, bobss396 said:

The trim is separate? That makes it easy. I never recall seeing a tow truck with trim across the door and I helped build a few Ford wreckers many years ago.

Nevermind, people have just been using BMF to represent the trim. However as I said, the bump is always there since it's molded into the body panels.

2 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Nevermind, people have just been using BMF to represent the trim. However as I said, the bump is always there since it's molded into the body panels.

On the base model F250 and F350 there was no chrome, they had front fender emblems. The more-optioned cabs had more chrome 

I used to help build what were known as "chase" trucks. These had a Manley electric boom on them. Most were made from lighter trucks like the F100.

Somewhere I have an ad from Manley that shows good detail. They were also called 3 post booms. 

The "magic number" from the axle center line to the tow plate was 38". So that is what I used on the GMC I just finished  

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 12:51 PM, Repstock said:

six cab clearance lights is a little unusual.

That's true; no Ford came from the factory with more than five. Interestingly, you could order just the middle three, the outside two or all of them.

This Marti report shows how one guy ordered his...

68mrccc.jpg.8abbcda211ab20345bbe56d44dfc4664.jpg

In the end, it's up to the builder. Gorgeous build, Sven!

1 hour ago, mk11 said:

That's true; no Ford came from the factory with more than five. Interestingly, you could order just the middle three, the outside two or all of them.

This Marti report shows how one guy ordered his...

68mrccc.jpg.8abbcda211ab20345bbe56d44dfc4664.jpg

In the end, it's up to the builder. Gorgeous build, Sven!

An M-350 at that !