Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coming Off A 3 Year Slump-A Completed Project

CraigDaModeler

It has been about 3 years since I had spent any serious time building. After Hurricane Katrina in 2005 I completed two projects I had on the bench and started this ElCamino project. That was early 2006. I did the mock up and motivation started to slip. Every now and then I would sit at the bench but the more time passed the less interested I became. So over the past 3 years the hobby was nearly non-existent to for me, not just the building but not going to any model events either. The only contact was occasional visits here.

The past few weeks were like the ‘old days’ for me, spending all free time at the bench. Some thanks must go out to Steve Boutte and the upcoming B’ham show. We both missed the trip last year for the first time in many years going together. While I did not expect to finish this project as I did not expect to maintain the motivation.

One thing is for sure, the ‘use it or lose it’ mantra applies to model building skills. The little bit of skills I had been acquiring over the 8 years or so of serious build are definitely all rusted over and it shows in this project. There were many times I was ready to scrap this project but pressed on with the mindset this would be the one to brush up on those lost skills. It may take a couple more builds to re-hone those skills but this is a start.

So here is my first completed model after the 3 year motivational slump, These are quick ‘snap shots’ as I just finished it and wanted to share (as part of the re-motivation process…LOL). I will get some better photos and post them at a later date. Looking at the photos I see a few things that need tweaking!

IMG_1259-vi.jpg

IMG_1258-vi.jpg

IMG_1269-vi.jpg

Go here to see a few more images:

A FEW MORE PHOTOS

Thanks for Looking

Craig

Super looking Camino, Craig! And that color is gorgeous. What paint is that? Wish my builds looked half as good as this one. Great job...

steve

Thanks Steve,

It has been so long ago I actually did the painting, I don't recall exactly the name of the color. I can tell you it is a HOC candy color shot over a gloss black base coat. After a few lacquer clear coats, I shot a couple more clear coats with blue/green pearl powder then top that with about 8 more clear coats.

I am very pleased with the color & finish.

Craig, it looks good to me, I don't see any flaws in it, but then again, we are our own worst critics. About the only thing I'd change is the wheels, caz Keystone Classics were never my favorite wheel, I go for Cragars, or Ansen Sprints. But that's just me. The model itself is beautiful! GREAT BUILD!!! :lol:

Edited by george 53