Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Hot Rod Pickup....I went to school

MikeMc

That olde school kinda build....no billet!!! no frills!!!

BUT it certainly won't be stock!!!!

Suede paint.... but no stinkin black!!!

Big n Little's on Steelies. ..Wide Whites

3 Deuces on a Flattie!!!

Where to start???AHHHHHHHH YES its ZONA MAN :P

Zona.jpg

Couple of Z's to start out with...

IMG_1049.jpg

Up with the bed...Down with the body!!!!

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

HMMMMMMMMM................

IMG_1047.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

Guest Davkin

Good start. I agree, shorten the bed. I'm not sure how Z'ing the front end is going to work out for you, it might not work at all. I think the engine needs to sit lower or the trans and driveshaft will take up most of the interior. However, if you lower the engine the frame will probably be in the way of the headers. I rarely see a Z'ed front, probably for those reasons. Usually if a hot rod needs to lower the front that much and a suicide perch isn't an option they kick the front up rather than Z it. That is, bend the frame upward starting at the firewall.

David

Very interesting frame design, Mike. I have seen 1:1 frames Z'd front and rear before, but I can't recall seeing the front done to that extreme. It definately accomplishes getting the stance nice and low and the engine up off the ground. It's cool that the stock center crossmember can be conveniently used as a trans mount. It's also neat that the rear of the frame makes a platform to mount the PU bed to.

I'm also with the others, I'd shorten the PU bed at least by half.

Looking forward to seeing more!

:D

Well the Mrs. is away the boy will play :P;):blink:

Worked out the stance, and adj the front and rear springs to get it

Got the interior figured out,set the seat, still working on a little more foot room

for the driver and pedals. still need to adj the bed and refit the tailgate...

then its on to cut the grill down to size......

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

Lotsa problems solved this weekend! I still have a few parts dechroming so thats where they are :lol:

Floorboards, steering, grill, and bed all done. Still need wood for the bed and a longer steering link,

then its on to body and paint. Enjoy for now.....

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

Looks like that Z worked out!! and I didn't move the motor!!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

turning out to be a nice little truck, I'm really liking it. If I may be so bold next time you Z a frame try cutting your front rails at a 22.5 deg. this will give you a total of 45 deg. IMHO this allows the frame to "flow" rather than make sharp corners...

you can get an idea of what Im talking about on my 32's pickup frame..

frame.jpg

Looks AWESOME bro. one question though. I MUST KNOW what paint (brand and shades) did you use? It looks Killer KOOL!

Thanks Brian !

The body is Tamiya TS60 Pearl green

The frame is Dupli-color DSFM165 Dark Jade Metallic

Tim Boyd used this color Pearl on a truckster build...It will be dullcoated soon!!

Edited by MikeMc

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike, your A-bone is really comming together great! In the begining it had all the makings of one of those Kulture lifestyle rat rods, but in all it's painted glory all that goes away - and that's a good thing! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Awesome color combo, btw.

these open wheel roadsters arent my cup of tea normally, but lately i've been getting "that itch" to build one. where do you guys find these parts; frame, body, bed etc? I had this crazy idea of taking a truck idea like this, but with a WWII era Allison V-12 aircraft engine, or new school with a porsche or ferrari V12.

these open wheel roadsters arent my cup of tea normally, but lately i've been getting "that itch" to build one. where do you guys find these parts; frame, body, bed etc? I had this crazy idea of taking a truck idea like this, but with a WWII era Allison V-12 aircraft engine, or new school with a porsche or ferrari V12.

This is revells '29 PU kit....frame ,2 bodys , and bed......pick up that Allison in a parts pack reissue from stevens??