Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '65 Chevy Impala

Justin Porter

Keeping up the progress with the '65 Impala. I finished wet sanding and polishing the body. You know the paint is right when you can read the paint IN the paint. I also wrapped up the chassis and was able to mock up the ride height. The wheels are being taken from the Goodguys release of the Revell '37 Ford Coupe and I think they really suit the style I'm going for.

20230922_212122.jpg

20230922_212139.jpg

20230922_212210.jpg

• Like 4

A quick update on the Impala as it is dangerously close to finished! This is sort of a personal "greatest hits" post of various details I have finished up on the build that are making me happy.

The core support detail on this kit is genuinely something Revell should still be proud of. There's actually an AC condenser in place to go along with the radiator. An unfortunate thing was that I had to chisel away all of the molded-in-place fan shroud on the radiator to make way for the electric fan from a Revell '41 Willys Street Rod kit. 

The engine is 100% wrapped up. I used one of the pre-drilled distributors from Iceman Collections in place of the kit distributor and I am very happy with the results. I opted to go with an aluminum base/brown cap scheme on the distributor to keep with the "basic aftermarket improvements" theme. 

Also from Iceman are the lovely 3D printed brakes. A bit of AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Polished Aluminum and Tamiya X32 Titanium Gold mean that they look show car sharp. 

The firewall was another nicely done bit of this kit with the HVAC unit on the passenger side. Picking out the wiring harness in rubber black gives it enough "it's there" highlighting without making it into a cartoon. The brake booster is AK Pale Burnt Metal and the master cylinder is Mr Color C61 Burnt Iron, both of which are favorite paints of mine to use.

Finally the body has its glass and - against my usual practice - I decided to go the Bare Metal Foil route for the window trim. Just to see if I still could. I'm happy to say I still feel comfortable using foil and chrome does pop against the red.

20230928_124258_HDR.jpg

20230928_125911_HDR.jpg

20231003_192131.jpg

20231003_192202.jpg

20231003_192224.jpg

20231003_192303.jpg

20231003_192435.jpg

• Like 5