Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of the MPC Fox Body Mustang

Fabrux

8 hours ago, mikos said:

Very good points Niteowl.  

As for the ‘71-‘73 Mustang convertible, I was thinking more along the lines of them converting the old AMT body tool into one.  They have two separate tools of the big Mustang, the MPC and the AMT Mustang version.  The current AMT kit is based on the MPC tool, I believe.  

However, like you stated, they may have to make a brand new tool for a convertible body style which would make it cost prohibitive.   Even though a brand new tool would always be preferred, if they can possibly modify the old AMT body into a convertible body style that would be great too.  

The current AMT kit is the MPC kit in lineage, but the original AMT body/kit is currently inside the Warren Tope race car. Don't know how well that sold the last time around (paging Justin), but again I don't see them necessarily permanently killing off one model for another.

On 9/26/2023 at 5:27 PM, Tabbysdaddy said:

Hobby Lobby still had the police version on the shelf last time I went there, as well as the drag version. 

This one? I never saw it at any of the dozens of Hobby Lobbys I've been to in Southern California over the years. Strange. I would kill for another one at a good price.

RMX-4252SD-2.jpg.9bee2ea57222b1271d98cbfc3126d2ee.jpg

4 hours ago, av405 said:

This one? I never saw it at any of the dozens of Hobby Lobbys I've been to in Southern California over the years. Strange. I would kill for another one at a good price.

When I was looking at the 2 in store, I'm not big on building police vehicles and since the drag version also can be built stock, I went for the drag version. I know that they were banking on more sales with the two separate kits, but I wonder how well a 3n1 kit would sell with both the police and drag parts included?

12 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The current AMT kit is the MPC kit in lineage, but the original AMT body/kit is currently inside the Warren Tope race car. Don't know how well that sold the last time around (paging Justin), but again I don't see them necessarily permanently killing off one model for another.

To be frank, I honestly didn't bother ordering in the 2022 reissue with the yellow boxart - #1262 - because at that point I still had the #1187 Bond licensed kit on my shelf and the MSRP from #1187 to #1262 jumped from $31.95 to $36.95 making stocking it kind of unjustifiable in my eyes. I didn't have any over-the-counter or mail order requests for #1262 either. Given that the all-new Revell kit has a lower MSRP than #1262, I can't foresee putting it on my shelves in the future either. 

Granted, I'm a data point of one as far as hobby shop sales are concerned, but that was my experience with in production '71 Mustang kits from 2020 to the present day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Just wondering if this 1st gen Mustang talk could move to a different thread? I’m more interested in the Fox Body info! 😆

YES please............ more Fox body

Edited by Zen
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jordan White said:

When I was looking at the 2 in store, I'm not big on building police vehicles and since the drag version also can be built stock, I went for the drag version. I know that they were banking on more sales with the two separate kits, but I wonder how well a 3n1 kit would sell with both the police and drag parts included?

It would probably do well. I think something that maybe hurts the drag kit a bit is that there's no obvious indication that it can be built stock. I had to confirm on this forum that it indeed had all the stock parts so I could buy them to build police versions. 

8 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Yes that's the one. I would have bought one but I keep ending up buying other things instead. 

Very jealous. They never showed up at any HLs in So Cal.