Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Best Hot Rod Kits of Last 50 Years

Six color pages on the "50 most significant 1/24th&1/25th scale Hot Rod Car Kits of the Last 50 Years", appearing in the May 2009 issue of "World of Rods", compiled, written and photographed by yours truly.

Will you agree with my choices? Did I miss something really significant (hope not!)

The magazine is now on newstands. Cover photo is an elevated front 3/4 of a black '32 Highboy with red Kelsays and a Moon Tank. Some of the pix in the article are a little dark for my liking, and it's a lot of material for six pages, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Hope you enjoy the article.

TIM BOYD

Some serious Googling uncovered this:

"Rich (Boyd) has worked as a photo journalist for the past 20-years at Street Rodder Magazine, Rod & Custom Magazine and as Editor of Custom Classic Trucks. After a short year of retirement, Rich started a new street rod magazine for the Action Pursuit Group in Orange, California, called The World of RODS. Rich says, "I'm still depriving some kid of his dream job!" And, hopes to continue to do so for a few more years.

Rich's hobbies include art and design. He worked previously as an industrial designer in the auto industry and toy industry. You can see some of Rich's artwork at: richboydart.com.

RODS0807.jpg

The World of Rods is available 6 times per year at major bookstores, grocery and convenience outlets, including Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, and 7-11. Unique Publications - A Division of Action Pursuit Group, LLC"

Okay, Tim, is that Uncle Rich? Tell us more about him!

Anyhow, I'll be checking at B&N for a copy.

Edited by 7000in5th

Guys, thanks for your interest.

Yes the magazine is the one referenced above.

At this point they do not have a website. With this issue they announced for the first time the availability of subscriptions, after two years as newstand only.

Rich is not a relation, but we worked together at McMullen Argus (Primeida/Intersource predecessor) and Rich knew that "Modeler's Corner" generated a tremendous amount of reader interest. He accepted my World of Rods article proposal in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately Rich, like many other west coast car magazine writers, has fallen victim to the worldwide recession and he advised me a couple of weels ago he is no longer doing this gig. Really, really disappointing as he gave the mag a flavor that it would only have under his tutelage.

Thanks for your interest. The mag is available at all Barnes and Nobles as far as I know. See Don Barnes' message above for a link to his photo of the magazine cover.

Best regards...TIM

Thanks for the update Tim - I'll have to give Rich a call.

It's not just the West Coast publications that are shrinking, print media is slowly disappearing in general, it will be interesting to see who survives the next year. Source Interlink's stock hovers around .10 cents per share - that can't be good!

Next time you're out here at Ford in Irvine let me know!

Edited by SoCalCarCulture

...The mag is available at all Barnes and Nobles as far as I know...

Best regards...TIM

Some B&N stores have a better selection than others. The nearest to me does not carry it. If you have to drive any distance at all, call first.

Check your local Walgreen's store (or is it Walgreene's, or Wallgreene's... anyway, it's the drug store chain, and some are open 24/7) for W.O.R.- that's where I got my copy. My local grocery chain used to carry it but, of course, when Tim Boyd publishes a story in it, they magically shuffle the mag selection! K Mart won't carry it, nor will Mall-Wart, and NONE of the parts stores in my area had it- incidentally, Walgreen's was the LAST place I looked! (Typical.)

As far as the content, Tim, dead-on again! As a 1:1 and small-scale rod guy, I've built many of these kits, and the story shed light on some kits I'll probably only dream of buying, much less building, such as the MPC '33 Chev panel, the King T/Wild Dream kits, and the AMT '28 Model A Tudor! I can think of only one kit that was not really covered... the MPC/AMT Beverly Hillbillies 1920-ish Olds "Economy Truck"! Yeah, most modelers would not consider this kit as the basis to a rod, but all four of the "Hillbillies" Olds kits I've purchased have become rods of some sort... except the one that became a beat up wrecker.

Hey, Tim... you used one of these kits yourself to build a Judson-blown, '60's style "bucket" rod a few years back!

And I can still live with the Revell '32 Fords being the "Best Ever". I love these kits, but I'm really beginning to wonder if they're just a tad overrated. Won't stop me from buying one or ten of those upcoming three-window variants, though!

Guys- this article is more than worth checking out! As LDO said, it is wise to call ahead, regardless of where you're checking out, to see if they actually HAVE the thing before you drive the old F-250 seventy miles to go and get it!

Edited by Chuck Most

I have the magazine and it's a great article, Tim.

Thanks for writing it. It puts all the reference for hot rods kits all in one place.

Without a dought, the Revell '32 Ford kits are the best. As you probably know, I have built 27 variations of that kit so far. ( I want to build 32 of them.) ;)

[

Hey, Tim... you used one of these kits yourself to build a Judson-blown, '60's style "bucket" rod a few years back!

Chuck....thanks for the positive input. Good comment on the Beverly Hillbillies...it got really tight when I got down to the last few choices but this would have been a great choice for the runner-up list. BTW I've build another model based on the kit....it should debut at the NNL Nats#30 this fall.....

Thanks again...TIM

Lyle...hey glad to know you concur in that choice....I really struggled with that one. Did you say 27???? I thought I was crazy....I think I have built around 15 of them in various forms. And I've got several more planned when the 5W breaks cover....

Thanks for the compliment on the article...this is one I've had "90% done" for about five years now and was just looking for the right place to get it in print...

Best regards...TIM

That's amazing, Lyle. Every one looks so different with all the subtle details. That is one amazing feat!

Unbelievable Lyle! Wow! I sent your Fotki link to my contact at Revell-Monogram who help bring this kit series to the market.

I really like the latest Harley Sedan Delivery. Excellent choice taking the old Monogram Street Rod series Goodyear EAgle GT's and painting them with whitewalls, along with your wheel finish. Incredibly tasty.

TIM