Model Cars Magazine Forum

3rd gen Camaro

Finished the oil cooler added some bars to the front of the chassis. Based them on a later version of the Dodge IROC car so they are different because the Camaro nose is a little different then the Dodge. I have no reference pics of the Camaro chassis so it's all a guess. But I figure it probably did not change much from Camaro to Dodge.

1tl432.jpg

1tl433.jpg

• Like 2

Got the tank finished. Started on the cap for the brake reservoir. Even though this is not a Nascar kit I am trying to make it like the Nascar kits that you can pose the model with the body on or off. That's why the front of the chassis is a little different then the actual car was. The next to  final pic is a reference pic to the Dodge Avenger IROC car that basically had the same chassis as the Camaro. The only ref picture I could find of the Camaro was just an engine compartment shot and it was taken before completion of the car.

1tl437.jpg

1tl438.jpg

1tl439.jpg

1tl440.jpg

1tl346.jpg

1tl216.webp

• Like 1

Okay Mark, not sure how in the world I missed this but I have. So many things I should be doing this morning, but I've gone straight down a rabbit hole on this! First, your Freddie Fryer build is beautiful. I've always liked his cars. Saw him race once at the Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway and again at Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, FL. I'm also a Terry Labonte fan.

This IROC Camaro build is amazing. Your attention to detail, all the perfectly done scratch built parts and roll cage are all just next level. You can bet money that I'll be following along.

Thank you for the WIP.

Posted (edited)

Steve, Thanks for visiting the rabbit hole. I really appreciate you dropping by and saying the nice words about the Fryer build and the one I have going on right now. Freddie used to come to Meyer Speedway in Houston back in the day and always went home with all the trophies that were available the nights he visited the track. It's like his cars were in a different class from the local cars that competed there. He usually lapped the field every race he ran there. Thanks again and visit and comment any time you would like.

Edited by MarkJ

Oil coolers, tanks and caps all beautifully scratch built. With 3D printing taking on more and more space in the hobby (not that I'm against it) it is nice to see some traditional fabrication work being displayed. Thank you for taking us along for the ride, this is fun to watch.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Pierre. I always appreciate your kind words about my builds.  I'm getting antsy about not seeing you post lately. I need some Pierre work to look at for inspiration and just sheer pleasure. Let me know when you get something going again or post some finished work.

Edited by MarkJ

Thank you for dropping by, Atin. I am glad you have enjoyed the build so far. Still a lot to do but I'm in no hurry. Like some say, it's the journey not the final stop of an endeavor that is the most enjoyable sometimes. Thank you for the kind words about the build.

Finished the brake reservoir. Starting on the steering gear. Had to make the frame wider where the gear will be installed. the stock Camaro is a front steer car, but the IROC car was rear steer. No steering gear comes in this kit, and it would probably not be correct anyway. Hoping I did not start making this one too big to fit. The one in the race car is a tight fit.

1tl441.jpg

1tl442.jpg

1tl443.jpg

1tl444.jpg

1tl445.jpg

1tl446.jpg

1tl363.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iraceitall said:

Just an amazing build. Incredible attention to details, can't wait to see it all come together!

Thanks for dropping by, Joe. And thank you for the kind words too.

Thanks, Steve. Always appreciate visits from all the fine folks out there who enjoy this awesome hobby that we all like to do. Thanks for stopping by.

• Like 1

I was thinking about the steering box and remembered that on my Dale Earnhardt first cup win Monte Carlo, I used a 1987 Monte Carlo chassis with a 1977 Monte Carlo snap kit for the body. I figured the best ref pics would be of the actual model I made. I took some pictures from different vantage points of the steering gear and also measured it so I could just duplicate the one on that model the best I could. It's a good thing I did, because the one I started to make above is way too big. I also can use these pictures for reference when I build the front suspension. It's a Banjo chassis from the late eighty's which is the one they used on the real 1987 IROC Camaro. In the pics below the steering gear is close to the middle of each photo. One from above and 2 from below.

1tl447a.jpg

1tl448b.jpg

1tl449b.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jjsipes said:

Looking great Mark. Alot of scratch building going into this one.

Thanks, Jason. I appreciate you dropping by for a look and comment. 

I took the pictures I made of the 1987 Monte Carlo nascar kit chassis and made them into actual size of the model, or 1:1 photos of the front suspension of the model. That way I can make parts right off the images like the steering box and the other parts of the front suspension. I've done this in the past for bodies of the models to make decals that fit exactly on the model like the roof and door numbers and all the other decals as well. The steering box is so small that it just needs to be a simple part with not much detail added to it, like the actual kit parts that come in the nascar kits. You can see below what I have so far for the steering gear box. It needs some more cutting and sanding and some sheet styrene added to the top of it. Just need something to connect to the steering shaft coming out of the firewall and the tie rod link for the front suspension. I will have to make a tiny pitman arm to connect steering gear box to linkage.

1tl450.jpg

1tl451.jpg

1tl452.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kensar said:

Wow, you're having to put a lot of work into this.  The results will certainly show it.  It will look fantastic.

Thank you, Ken. if I could only put out the level of scratch building that you do, this build would be fantastic. Your work on the Ford GT40 is very upper-level work. It's amazing how your parts look better than the kit parts. Thanks again for dropping by and saying the nice words about my build. I'm in great anticipation about seeing your build come to the finish line and the awesome work that will be revealed.