Model Cars Magazine Forum

3rd gen Camaro

So true, Pierre. We shall see in about 6 months or so if it's like one of my typical builds. I am not very fast, and I make a lot of mistakes that I have to do over. Like just now on the rear taillight panel. Trial and error as always. mostly error. I owned one of these baby's back in 1984 so when I saw the kit, I knew I had to do something with it. It was a 305 Z-28 but it was not very fast. But it had a nice sounding exhaust system. It looked a lot racier than it was. I doubt if it would get over 90 miles an hour.

16 hours ago, MarkJ said:

So true, Pierre. We shall see in about 6 months or so if it's like one of my typical builds. I am not very fast, and I make a lot of mistakes that I have to do over. Like just now on the rear taillight panel. Trial and error as always. mostly error. I owned one of these baby's back in 1984 so when I saw the kit, I knew I had to do something with it. It was a 305 Z-28 but it was not very fast. But it had a nice sounding exhaust system. It looked a lot racier than it was. I doubt if it would get over 90 miles an hour.

Brings back memories of my 86 Z, black on black, 305 manual. Beautiful and fun to drive but just ok on power. I had two gen 4's, a Z-28 and then a SS. Definitely faster but they did not look half as good as the gen 3 car.

Wow, Pierre. You had 3 Camaros. Thats pretty cool. That 84 I had was so logged down with pollution controls that it was not really what you would consider a performance car. I guess that's why Chevy came out with the IROC-Z version, I guess. I'm not sure when it was introduced. My 84 was a gray metallic with gold stripes along the bottom of the sides that z-28's had back then to distinguish them from the regular Camaros. I wish I had a picture of it, but it's probably buried in a photo album in a wooden trunk somewhere in the attic. And I'm not digging for it.

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Looking good Mark...like a few of you we had an '84 with the H.O 305. Actually my wife claimed it as her and it was a daily drive. Talked her into selling it to by a 'Vette. She cried croccadile tears as the new owner drove off with it.

Mike, we had the non H.O. 305 with 145 h.p.  I'm sure the 190 h.p.  H.O. had a lot more oomf. Like yall, my wife was the main driver of the car because I had a pickup back then as my daily driver. We liked having a pickup truck for that once every now and then need for something that could haul stuff. Plus, if you live in Texas, it's a state law that you have to own at least one pickup truck. (not really). Thanks for checking in on the build.

I had to make the rear spoiler a little bit bigger according to the ref pictures I have of my subject matter. The angle of the spoiler is a little bit flatter on the model then on the car I'm trying to represent, but close enough for me. My model will just not have as much rear downforce as the real car.

1tl46.jpg

1tl47.jpg

1tl48.jpg

1tl49.jpg

1tl50.jpg

1tl51.jpg

• Like 3

Finally, after many editing sessions, I got the decal sheets printed. Just hope the fixadent application goes well. What used to be Testors 1261 gloss clear is now made by Rustoleum even though they still call it testors . hope they didn't change the formula and make it hotter which might melt the ink on the inkjet color decals. I'm not worried about the laser white underlay decal sheets. the lacquer won't hurt the laser decal sheets because they are not really ink. I do the color sheets in inkjet because inkjet decals are crisper than this laser printer I have can do. Small contingency decals are just a blur when you do them on this laser printer, I have, which is not super expensive, but you can still get a ghost white toner for it .I create the white underlay sheet in all black and then when I print them with the ghost white toner it makes them white. Now back to the build.

Finally finished the rear spoiler and moved to the front to make headlight covers, park light covers, and side marker light covers. I also need to remove the grille and replace it with some mesh screen. They put a notch in the doors for the mirrors so I will need to fix those notches because this car did not have outside mirrors.

1tl57.jpg

Thanks for the reply, Zen. I should have made my thoughts clearer in the above thread.  I knew what the notches were for, I just did not understand why they had to butcher the door to have a way of installing them. Most outside mirrors just install to the doors notch free. Some people may not need the mirrors for their build so they shouldn't have to repair the door if they don't want mirrors. My model will not want mirrors on it. The real car had tiny mirrors attached to the roll cage. Thanks again.