Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I know what Tamiya paint I have?

1 hour ago, Milo said:

How do I know which spray is a metal flake? I'm looking for a lacquer metal flake spray that isn't too glossy.

Metal flake is generally a much larger flake and is typically used on things like bass boats and dune buggies. I'm not sure Tamiya even offers an actual metal flake paint, but they do have more subtle options, which will be indicated by the words "metallic" or "mica".   What does it say on the can?

If you want an actual metal flake paint, many of the Model Master lacquers have that exaggerated flake size.  Lastly, almost any metal flake or metallic paint is going to be glossy, so your best bet there might be to spray semi-gloss clear over your chosen color.  

• Like 1

If you want to start getting into color matching 1/1, it's time for you to get serious about a decent airbrush and air source for it. Then you can get Splash or Scale Finishes, MCW, or a local auto jobber to mix exact match paints for you ( Many Napa Stores mix small quantity touch up paints for instance) .

4 hours ago, Dave G. said:

If you want to start getting into color matching 1/1, it's time for you to get serious about a decent airbrush and air source for it. Then you can get Splash or Scale Finishes, MCW, or a local auto jobber to mix exact match paints for you ( Many Napa Stores mix small quantity touch up paints for instance) .

No, I'm just trying to get a close enough color. I just want to know what is most 1:1 with the metallic flakes 

6 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

A few Tamiya options that are close to the 1:1 example you posted.

TS-64 Dark Mica Blue. 

TS-50 Mica Blue over black base.

TS-51 Racing Blue over a black base. 

A google image search of above colors will show examples.

Is it bad to do the mica blue over white?

Also is there a slightly lighter mica blue?

9 hours ago, Milo said:

Is it bad to do the mica blue over white?

Also is there a slightly lighter mica blue?

Like I mentioned if you do a google image search for Tamiya Mica Blue, you will find many examples showing how different base coats can change the tone from light to dark.

This thread is a good example, which I found in a search.

https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/24632-help-on-paint-color/

• Like 1

Are you using rattlecans? Consider a custom filled auto colour and ask for mica sizes used.

My mica dark red I just paint today.

IMG_20230930_172939.thumb.jpg.3064403a34f5549d94e575338405eac3.jpgIMG_20230930_172922.thumb.jpg.39e5efa3cbef2aa72b9fce56b0c20287.jpg

Matt finish, still to gloss.

My shop gave me the smallest mica they have. Their colour swatches showed it very very small compared to their other pearls.

And much smaller than an off shelf pearl/metallic I've used.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, D.Pack said:

Are you using rattlecans? Consider a custom filled auto colour and ask for mica sizes used.

My mica dark red I just paint today.

IMG_20230930_172939.thumb.jpg.3064403a34f5549d94e575338405eac3.jpgIMG_20230930_172922.thumb.jpg.39e5efa3cbef2aa72b9fce56b0c20287.jpg

Matt finish, still to gloss.

My shop gave me the smallest mica they have. Their colour swatches showed it very very small compared to their other pearls.

And much smaller than an off shelf pearl/metallic I've used.

Where do I get one of those?

An auto paint shop.

Most will supply a custom colour for you.

About 15 minutes to create a rattlecan. Use their customer swatches, or a paint code from Ford or GM for example. 

And other standards like RAL,Pantone,British Standard.

Just need a code number.

Different colours use various size of mica (car manufacturers standards) so from a swatch I picked one with the smallest grain size.

None in your town, lots of online suppliers.

My recent can. RAL YellowGreen. Same as a Kawasaki Green.

1751934575_IMG_20231001_0036582.thumb.jpg.ac070b608c728e8eefd2dda5c6db9e2a.jpg

Edited by D.Pack
More info
  • Like 1