Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brilliant Metal Polish

ewetwo

I forgot I had this bottle of Brilliant Metal Polish. I was reading what it’s good for and among the metals it said fiberglass. I had an idea, which isn’t too often, that maybe try polishing the haze appearing on my Camry and Venza’s headlights. I should have taken before and after picture but I was running with my ‘brilliant” idea. They polished up nicely. The Venza will need a bit more polishing and I have no idea how long they will look better. But I had nothing to loose. 

6B4A7EC5-CB31-4946-90B7-11FE79014D0B.jpeg

• Like 1

I used to have to polish the Tempo lenses on a regular basis.  Then years later I read that after you polish you need to apply a UV protector.  That's why they go cloudy again so fast.  The car was long gone by the time I read that so I never have had to do it myself.  Might be worth looking into though.

Yes, since the '90s when the sealed beam headlights stopped being required on American cars, we started having this problem. Acrylic (or Lexan) plastic headlights aren't as durable as glass.

There are kits available with all that's needed (including protectant) to renew the lenses.  But on my last couple of cars (bought new) I have applied headlight protective film to them and they stay clear for years.   The film is a self adhesive stretchy thick clear vinyl.  It is a bit of a pain to apply (especially on lenses with complex curves, but well worth the effort).  I use https://www.headlightarmor.com/

if you have an electric polisher and an old fine pad you can use toothpaste to bring back the clear. its very mild and lasts a good while. You can also take the lenses off the light to do the insides if needed by placing the light unit in an electric oven until the glue around the lense softens. DONT USE A GAS OR FAN OVEN, the heat is not even enough. the lense will come apart with a little leverage now and to refix them just clean the old glue away and use tiger seal. be sure to mask before using the tiger seal as once its on its not coming off again without damage.