Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 49 Mercury

Yeah Nah

Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda. Didn't.

Did this a while back and instead of filling the body flaws, put the paint on, finished the model and now regretting it. It was one of my earlier builds and at the time was probably the best result I'd achieved to date with rattle can paint and BMF so I willfully ignored the obvious surface flaws.

Still happy with other parts of the build so I'll keep them as is but hopefully be able to strip that enamel off the body and start again on it.

BTW, did anyone else at some point have the shine fade off Bare Metal Foil and even have what looks like some form of corrosion (as here on this model) set in after a few months? It happened to a number of my models and I'm wondering if it's something I did.

Will keep you posted on the result and in the meantime thanks for looking and will appreciate any comments.

20230930_090551.jpg

20230930_090635.jpg

20230930_090736.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bill-e-boy said:

A good looking build

BMF can be protected by a fine shine up with carnuba wax

Thanks Bill. That might be the problem. Being actual metal, I didn't think BMF needed any protective coating but I'll do it in future.

Edited by Yeah Nah

I had BMF tarnish with a model I stored in the box, wrapped in paper towels. The towels yellowed and messed up the foil. I haven't tackled the bad foil yet, maybe it will come off easily with a little rubbing.

BTW, the AMT '49 Mercury is one of my all time favorite kits. I built one in 1963 when I was 8 and painted it Testors yellow from the jar.

• Like 1

Gary, your model actually looks pretty great. As with all art though, the toughest critic is the artist who created it :) I too look at my earlier models and notice the flaws, but have come to regard them as a time capsule of where my skills (and patience) were when I built them. In regards to the BMF, I noticed the same thing - especially tarnishing wherever I handled it with bare hands. 

• Like 3

Just give the BMF a rubdown with a dry Kleenex and it should shine back up.

I would put money on those body flaws being from the glue shrinking the plastic. I little too much and this happens over time. Dealt with it myself.

An FYI for you and anyone else, I like to use rubber cement for my fender skirts, hold well, avoids this issue and you can remove them easily without damaging plastic or paint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Just give the BMF a rubdown with a dry Kleenex and it should shine back up.

I would put money on those body flaws being from the glue shrinking the plastic. I little too much and this happens over time. Dealt with it myself.

An FYI for you and anyone else, I like to use rubber cement for my fender skirts, hold well, avoids this issue and you can remove them easily without damaging plastic or paint.

Thanks for those tips Andy.

• Like 1