Model Cars Magazine Forum

I am really leaving my comfort zone.  I have never posted a WIP and I am making a wooden boat.  I have never done a WIP because I don’t think my skill level or technique warrants asking others to watch a mediocre build and wooden boats, this is my first.  But, I have had this kit for 30 years, literally 30.  I have started it a few times over the years but never have done much.  The boat has spent a lot of its life hanging on a wall in the garage and has the stains to prove it.  I am doing this because I have made little progress in all these years and I want to finish it.  I am hoping that this will guilt me into it.  When I bought this kit a friend of mine said I would not finish it in his lifetime. Well that almost came true.  He is better now but it motivated me.  Funny the things that come to mind in stressful times.

I have no idea what I am doing and I am certain to make mistakes. So if anyone checks in on this build hopefully I can provide with some good laughs when you see what I do.

Today I added a little wood and a lot of epoxy. That is what the blue tape in the picture is doing, holding wood and glue in place.

IMG_0334.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

IMG_0336.jpeg

• Like 1

I have the United Van Lines hydroplane by Dumas. Engine and running gear all installed as well as two different sets of radio gear. Never been wet. Don’t know what the hold-up is but I’ve never attempted to run it. The all wood kits do take a different mindset then plastic kits. Need to be a carpenter a mechanic as well as a fine wood finisher. Stick to it is the best advice I have. I did build and finish a Dumas 1940 Barrel Back runabout kit. It turned out very good. I do run it I my pool during the summer. Good luck and keep us updated with your progress as well as any questions.

Thanks,  I bought this when I used to run RC boats thinking it would be a fun addition to my fleet.  Obviously that never happened.  I plan for this one to be completely painted so that should allow some forgiveness in the building process.  I would like to finish like Miss Bardahl.  Will see what happens when I get to that point.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I made a little progress.  I glued in the lower side panels in back.  There were very large gaps between the panels so I OVER epoxied the seams and had blue tape on the exterior holding it all in place.  My plan worked.  The epoxy flowed through the gaps and filled all the open spaces.

I started on the front hull.  I had to glue it up in steps due to the curvature. But it all seems to be working.  Fortunately my plan of painting all exterior surfaces will allow me to fill and sand what is starting to look like a lot of ugly seams.

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0339.jpeg

• Like 2

Key to assembly with any wood kit that is glued together with epoxy is patience. Put on a couple planks and walk away. The squarer or fair the hull is, the less bodywork will be needed later. Mine had a bad twist in the hull and I have a ton of bodywork trying to straighten it. Looks like you are well in to it. Keep up the good work.

Question: Is the intention of your build to install radio gear an engine and run it on a pond? The fairing process is important to get the fiberglass cloth to laying nicely on the hull. Wood putty, epoxy and microballoons or any filler will work to smooth things. Use the old carpenters saying, “ do your best and caulk the rest”. Keep up the good work.

This will be built as a display only model.  I am currently debating if I will add a prop and drive shaft.  I would have to locate suitable parts to do that so I am leaning towards not adding them.  It makes such a large model I think I am going to hang it on the wall when finished.  Nobody will ever see the underside.  Building as a display model does remove a lot of structural concerns.

Progress is slow but happening.

I used a lot of filler to cover my poor skills.  Just a tiny bit more sanding and it will be ready for primer.  My plan is to get the lower hull finished and primed before doing the decking.  I know there will be a lot more epoxy and filler clean up but it just seems like a good idea to get the lower done first.

IMG_0399.jpeg

IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_0403.jpeg

IMG_0402.jpeg

IMG_0406.jpeg

IMG_0405.jpeg

Thanks!  Sanding, sanding and more sanding has been my life the last to days.

After sanding down all the putty I put on a coat of primer.  Then I filled the grain with a diluted wood putty mixture.  I put the primer down first because I used a water based filler and did not want the bare wood to absorb all the water.  After more sanding and a little touch up I put down a light coat of primer to see how everything looked.  I think it is in a good enough condition to move on to the next step.  I could not resist trying out the canopy.

IMG_0411.jpeg

IMG_0410.jpeg

IMG_0413.jpeg

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0414.jpeg

Edited by Sonorandog
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...