Model Cars Magazine Forum

That Chris Craft is gorgeous.  Is that a Miss Circus in the lower picture.  When I had my RC armada one of my favorites was the Dumas 3.5 Hotshot.  That was a really fun boat.  I had several other boats but they were all electric.

This is my last update for a long while.  I just realized we are half way through November.  Every year I make a model for a friend of mine for Christmas and I have to start that now to ensure I get it done in time.  I typically start it in October to make sure I finish on time but I got distracted by my boat.  Thankfully it is a simple kit this year.

IMG_0473.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Almost time to get back to work on the boat.  I finished the “Christmas” gift this weekend, just a little late.

Unfortunately two more projects came up that take priory over boat building.  Hopefully soon progress will resume.

IMG_0608.jpeg

IMG_0609.jpeg

• Like 2

I am very interested in your Dumas project. I have been quite curious about these models for a few years, and I've wondered what they are all about. My interest is in the 1/24 scale kits. There are some nice looking ones, but quite pricey to take a chance on, so I'm watching your build with interest. I think I'd like to try one.

This has been a lot of fun.  I would definitely encourage you to give a wooden boat a try. However, I will say I wish this was my second attempt and not my first. I have definitely learned a lot of lessons a little too late. If I was building this same boat again it would go much more smoothly.

I was able to sneak in a few minutes on this in between my other projects.

IMG_0652.jpeg

Looking good. Your hard work will pay off when the paint goes on. I’ve headed down the rabbit hole again. Received the Chris Craft painted racer for Christmas. Hull framing done and the planking going on. Haven’t decided if I will start a build thread here. 

• 2 weeks later...

A lot and I mean a lot of sanding and touch up later I have put down a slurry coat of wood filler.  This will fill the pores for a better paint job and should smooth the transitions between putty and wood.  Next step will be a lot more sanding then primer.

IMG_0675.jpeg

Thanks for the cool pics.  I need to figure out a way to replicate that font so I can make some masks for the lettering.  I have no clever ideas at the moment for painting the scallops on the nose.

Today I was able to spend some time with high grit paper hand sanding everything in an effort to get it all smooth.  Another coat of primer and I think I have ID’d the last few spots needing some extra finishing.

A little more done.  I was hoping to move on to painting the base coat, but I may have to touch up a few more little spots.  Either that or learn to live with reality.  Thanks for the tip about the stand.  This one has no prop to worry about so an old piece of 4x4 works for painting.  I have not decided what the final display solution will be.

IMG_0704.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a picture I took when I was up in Kirkland Washington when we were displaying a classic car at their Concours event in 2009.  Several of the Hydroplanes were brought out and I took a few photos of the Bardahl.  

Note: I also showed other pics in this thread of the model in the museum.

L1070818.jpg

Difficult decision has been reached.  I am going to call the boat done for now.  Technically it is complete.  I just would like to get some detail painting done.  But I am growing frustrated with it and trying to rush wrapping it up because it is in the way of other projects I want to work on.  So instead of pushing through with a less than sunny disposition I am going to stop and revisit the final painting when I actually want to work on it again instead of feeling obligated to.  For now it is hanging on the wall in my workshop.

IMG_0758.jpeg