Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rick Winchester 71 Corvette H/SA

R. Thorne

On 2/3/2024 at 11:49 PM, Bainford said:

This is looking great. Sweating those details. It's going to be cool. 

19 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Looking great Ron! 

Thanks, guys.  Next is the tedious job of letters and numbers individual decals.  They are not perfect replicas to his car, but sometimes we have to compromise.  Used the gs hypo for the first time and really like the pin point applicator, but is a bit difficult to replace the cap.  I apply the decals first as it is a lot easier, but sometimes errors are made.  In this case I installed the windshield and, then noticed, the decals were upside down.  Threw some micro set on and removed them and installed the decals (again) with the windshield installed.  

IMG_1583.jpeg

IMG_1584.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1586.jpeg

Air cleaner base installed with some 6000 glue, just in case I decide to remove it later on with a better built one.  Also, installed the firewall and, as a homage to Harry P., (gosh, I miss his up front honesty) put a crude alternator bracket on to keep it from “floating”.

37062615-7311-4E2B-A625-6E36745B31F7.jpeg

D784E02A-C7BE-4F77-809A-39475A558A58.jpeg

864FCF44-96A6-4C37-BA76-E1BCDF56BBCD.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, realistic looking kit headers are hard to come by, I've scratch built a couple sets out of coat hanger (pain in the ass to bend but all I could find for the right scale diameter) but the revell 69 nova kit I'm building now had those same headers you have, also added some length to the collectors since they looked a bit short to me.

20240215_140429.jpg

20240212_233201.jpg

• Like 3

Also I noticed the 1:1 car has billet specialties..not sure if you went with the alumastars as that the closest looking wheel you could find, but I just ordered some billet specialties street lites from 3d model specialties by Ron olsen (3d printed by shapeways)..he has them in either beadlock or non bead lock and look pretty realistic in the rendering.  I'll see how they look when I get them soon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keviiin86 said:

I agree, realistic looking kit headers are hard to come by, I've scratch built a couple sets out of coat hanger (pain in the ass to bend but all I could find for the right scale diameter) but the revell 69 nova kit I'm building now had those same headers you have, also added some length to the collectors since they looked a bit short to me.

20240215_140429.jpg

20240212_233201.jpg

Nice engine, where did the SBC MOROSO valve covers come from?

On 2/16/2024 at 5:55 PM, keviiin86 said:

Also I noticed the 1:1 car has billet specialties..not sure if you went with the alumastars as that the closest looking wheel you could find, but I just ordered some billet specialties street lites from 3d model specialties by Ron olsen (3d printed by shapeways)..he has them in either beadlock or non bead lock and look pretty realistic in the rendering.  I'll see how they look when I get them soon.

Sharp eye.  Got these Alumastar wheels for Mike McDonald’s F/SA build that I posted on this forum.  Since they are pretty close, I decided to use them on this one (my ocd not withstanding).  Please post a pic and, if possible, the o.d. Of the wheels you ordered.  Most are designed to emulate full size 17-19 inch wheels, unfortunately.  Most of the cars I build use 15” wheels.  Thanks for the input and, by the way, on all my builds I appreciate honest critiques, questions, and suggestions.   That is how we learn and improve.  Almost forgot, your Nova chassis and engine looks sweet.

Edited by R. Thorne
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 12:16 AM, Moparman18064 said:

I just noticed this post. Outstanding! Absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks, you are much too kind.  Finally back to finishing this one up.  Call me lazy, but with the stock fuel tank molded in and limited room, I decided to forego the singular wheelie bar (perhaps at a later date).  That, plus i was unsure how to mount it so that a scratch built one would be sturdy enough for handling.  Anyway, another project for a later date to emulate one of these.  I have not seen any resin or 3d types offered like these.

IMG_1291.png

IMG_1292.jpeg

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1295.png

Edited by R. Thorne
Added Caltracs wheelie bar.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still a few things to finish, like top radiator hose, etc.  Talked myself out of the single wheelie bar, mainly because I would have to remove the fuel tank. Maybe I am just getting lazy or want to move on to the next 2 cars I have already started on.  I really like the looks of this car, even though there were a few runs in the paint job (that clear red is very touchy).  Anyway, this should wrap up the WIP thread and I will post some more pics in the under glass thread.  I like the opening and shutting hood retaining method on this car and will try to include that in future builds.

C473DB4C-5ED8-47C8-A42A-557F70412360.jpeg

5D202856-BAB1-4FA3-9D97-3EFA708CD8A5.jpeg

C6F5CC43-DFD4-40F7-A8F3-0866C496C8EC.jpeg

• Like 1