Model Cars Magazine Forum

Organization while building

I’m trying something a little different from my normal routine.

When I started building again a little over a year ago I went ziplock bag crazy.  Still am actually.  It protects the parts and I lose less pieces.  Going through my old kits, it’s hit or miss finding one that’s not missing something.  They’ve been through a couple of moves and that’s taken its toll.  But the baggies have really helped keep that problem in check.

But for a change of pace I decided to try out these little parts tackle boxes I have for current builds.  I got a couple of these when I was into amps.  I’m trying to organize by category, so interior pieces are together, rear suspension is together, etc.

Time will tell if I end up liking this method, or go back to the bags.  But I thought someone might be interested and maybe find this useful.

Here’s my normal method.  All parts in ziplock bags, all in one box.  Lots of baggies.

IMG_3488.thumb.jpeg.d7193ab394d3ab68e0d7e0f04e05d54f.jpeg

And here’s my “new” method.

IMG_3487.thumb.jpeg.891b58446f228937a4f6fbd940290411.jpeg

• Like 2

I use something like these - Rubbermaid or Glad  plastic containers. Rubbermaid sells a pack of 10 for about $8. They will fit interior tubs and other larger parts easily. Bodies and the chassis still go back into the original box. These containers are stackable, and easy to see into them to know which tub has the parts you need at that time. I started using these after my cats had knocked some seats on the floor and then my dog chewed on them. Never had this problem again after starting to use these plastic containers.

Bart

Presentation1.jpg.3cb5e9c5670fc790c1d9b82896096914.jpg

• Like 1

Jeremy..this thread caught my attention. I do the same as you but with a slightly different twist.  When I get a new kit the first thing I do is  "de-sprue" all the parts and sort them into painting bags.  When I cut the parts off I leave only a small portion of the sprue with the identifying number on it.  This also allows me to use this small part of the sprue to hold onto while spraying. Some of the more obvious parts I don't do this. While I am sorting and marking bags I also make notes on the instructions and sometimes the bags with special  painting instructions...like what has to be hand painted or other special steps. Sub assemblies and some clean-up is also done. Some of the very delicate parts will go into tiny plastic boxes and this keeps them form getting damaged or broken on the sprue and getting  lost . Then its back in the box for another day when I will get into a painting mood and clean all the parts and spray them with the airbrush. 

This may seem like a lot of work initially but in the end it greatly speeds up final assembly and more importantly avoids mistakes because by this time I am real familiar with kit.  And if not I have left notes (some humorous) .  I have some 100 kits done this way  so the notes are necessary as it make take years to get at some of these.  Will be glad to answer questions and I hope this helps you and others. 

• Like 1

I use the small tackle style boxes too. I pick up most at Hobby Lobby. I make a label that goes on the inside of the cover and it gets recycled to the next project. Most of my projects live inside those stackable plastic shoe boxes. 

I see a few guys in my club doing this. I will also re-purpose rx pill containers to sort parts as I clean them up for prime and paint. Finished parts go into the tackle boxes. 

Edited by bobss396
  • Like 1

I have some of the plastic boxes, but those are mostly for un-used or excess parts. I bought a bunch of different sized small zip lock bags at the buck store to store parts in once they are off the sprue. I will put left and right parts in a separate baggies with their number if they are different. Then everything gets piled back in the original box between sessions.

• Like 1

An addition to this post. Here is my 1/12 Meng Mclaren MP4/4 all sorted and base coated. This represents about 5 days worth of work, about 30+ hours. This is stage 2 as stage 3 will be final assembly and detailing...the fun part.   A little more explanation under the picture.DSC08271.JPG.2e18e8451836081277fde7b8de50a5fb.JPG

There are 20 bags of assorted sizes. A lot of parts and painting. Body is all done and curing.  The blue container has all the little screws, hoses and other tiny detail parts. This container came from a machine shop. The white card on the left is a color chart I  made up for quick reference while sorting.  The two largest bags contain the body and big chassis parts. Wheels and tires are done except for stenciling. Note all the labels on the bags with painting instructions. I have a large flat plastic box with a snap-on lid that most of the smaller parts will be dumped into during final assembly. Going through all the bags looking for small parts is tedious during final assembly and this is just an easier way to get to them. Can't wait to get to this kit but I am currently in the process of moving.   Sigh!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I will put left and right parts in a separate baggies with their number if they are different. 

Man I wish I had read this Before I started work on my Camaro project.  Now I can’t tell the left upper control arm from the right!🤔😁

4 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

An addition to this post. Here is my 1/12 Meng Mclaren MP4/4 all sorted and base coated. This represents about 5 days worth of work, about 30+ hours. This is stage 2 as stage 3 will be final assembly and detailing...the fun part.   A little more explanation under the picture.DSC08271.JPG.2e18e8451836081277fde7b8de50a5fb.JPG

There are 20 bags of assorted sizes. A lot of parts and painting. Body is all done and curing.  The blue container has all the little screws, hoses and other tiny detail parts. This container came from a machine shop. The white card on the left is a color chart I  made up for quick reference while sorting.  The two largest bags contain the body and big chassis parts. Wheels and tires are done except for stenciling. Note all the labels on the bags with painting instructions. I have a large flat plastic box with a snap-on lid that most of the smaller parts will be dumped into during final assembly. Going through all the bags looking for small parts is tedious during final assembly and this is just an easier way to get to them. Can't wait to get to this kit but I am currently in the process of moving.   Sigh!!!

This is awesome Rich.  Gives me a lot of great ideas for future builds and keeping things straight.

I have been doing something similar to your process for a long time now.  After I take everything off the sprues, I sort by what base color I’m planning.  I’ll also shoot two or three kits at once that get the same color. 

Some great information from all of you!👍

2 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Man I wish I had read this Before I started work on my Camaro project.  Now I can’t tell the left upper control arm from the right!🤔😁

This is awesome Rich.  Gives me a lot of great ideas for future builds and keeping things straight.

I have been doing something similar to your process for a long time now.  After I take everything off the sprues, I sort by what base color I’m planning.  I’ll also shoot two or three kits at once that get the same color. 

Some great information from all of you!👍

You are quite welcome Jeremy...always a pleasure to share. What this forum is all about. 

• Like 1

I’m cheap on some things, storage being one of them. Most times I’ll leave everything in the original box it came in. If I get a rebuilder without a box then I use the to-go containers from restaurants. These oval shaped ones are from Cracker Barrel and the rectangular “catch-all” is from a local Chinese restaurant.

I also use one of the oblong ones to put water in for doing decals. Makes it easier to chase down the small ones and plenty of room for the larger ones.

IMG_9189.jpeg

IMG_9190.jpeg

IMG_9191.jpeg

Edited by Keef
Fat fingers
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Keef said:

I’m cheap on some things, storage being one of them. Most times I’ll leave everything in the original box it came in. If I get a rebuilder without a box then I use the to-go containers from restaurants. These oval shaped ones are from Cracker Barrel and the rectangular “catch-all” is from a local Chinese restaurant.

I also use one of the oblong ones to put water in for doing decals. Makes it easier to chase down the small ones and plenty of room for the larger ones.

IMG_9189.jpeg

IMG_9190.jpeg

IMG_9191.jpeg

Do I see some Keystones in that bottom pic?  👍

18 hours ago, Keef said:

IMG_9189.jpeg

IMG_9190.jpeg

IMG_9191.jpeg

Although the origins are different, the types of containers are the same general idea. As long as they fit inside the kit box then that's what I normally try to use, Chrome and clear stuff go into (reused) plastic baggies, so they aren't scrubbing on everything else. Helps to have everything within arm's reach without an extended search!