Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1965 GTO Top.

StevenGuthmiller

13 minutes ago, Mark said:

Did the Polar Lights '64 GTO convertible include a raised top?

It did, but the photos that I have seen of that top reveal something that looks very “clunky”.

I thought I would try my hand at producing something a little more realistic.

We’ll see what I can do.

Steve

2 hours ago, Claes Ericsson said:

The ´66 Olds 442 CV has an uptop that might work?

I had forgotten that that kit even existed, but after looking at a few photos, it's evident that it would need plenty of modification to resemble the Lemans top in any case.

The Lemans top has a unique shape compared to a lot of the tops available in kits, with it's kind of concave rear window.

spacer.png

Steve

I went down to the stash and pulled out my 64 Tempest and PL 64 GTO.  Here is the PL top laid on the 64 AMT Tempest body.  Only thing I did was trip off the mounting pins on the top.  It looks a bit big but could probably be finagled down to an acceptable up top.  Pretty thick trim at the base of the top.  The "glass" is part of the top.

DSCF3330.JPG

DSCF3331.JPG

DSCF3332.JPG

DSCF3333.JPG

1 hour ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I went down to the stash and pulled out my 64 Tempest and PL 64 GTO.  Here is the PL top laid on the 64 AMT Tempest body.  Only thing I did was trip off the mounting pins on the top.  It looks a bit big but could probably be finagled down to an acceptable up top.  Pretty thick trim at the base of the top.  The "glass" is part of the top.

DSCF3330.JPG

DSCF3331.JPG

DSCF3332.JPG

DSCF3333.JPG

It doesn’t look too bad, but yes, the trim on the bottom would have to go for a couple of reasons.

#1,  it looks too thick and clunky, and #2, it raises the rear of the top too high.

The top should slope down in the rear, not up.

But all together, it’s not horrible, but would still require some work.

Not too fond of the seams either.

In general, it looks a bit like something designed for a toy rather than a scale model.

I’m looking forward to seeing what I can do with the ‘65 hard top.

I suppose that if it doesn’t pan out, I can always go on the hunt for one of these and see what can be done with it.

By the way, I wish my Lemans was in the same kind of shape that yours is in! 😊

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It doesn’t look too bad, but yes, the trim on the bottom would have to go for a couple of reasons.

#1,  it looks too thick and clunky, and #2, it raises the rear of the top too high.

The top should slope down in the rear, not up.

But all together, it’s not horrible, but would still require some work.

Not too fond of the seams either.

In general, it looks a bit like something designed for a toy rather than a scale model.

I’m looking forward to seeing what I can do with the ‘65 hard top.

I suppose that if it doesn’t pan out, I can always go on the hunt for one of these and see what can be done with it.

By the way, I wish my Lemans was in the same kind of shape that yours is in! 😊

Steve

My LeMans is reasonably clean.  Part of a "clan" of Pontiacs I've had for some years.  As expected, a few parts are loose from trees.  If you want to go with Polar Lights roof let me know as I will not be using it.  Here's some of my old Pontiacs

SAM_2181.JPG

SAM_2183.JPG

SAM_2184.JPG

SAM_2185.JPG

46 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

My LeMans is reasonably clean.  Part of a "clan" of Pontiacs I've had for some years.  As expected, a few parts are loose from trees.  If you want to go with Polar Lights roof let me know as I will not be using it.  Here's some of my old Pontiacs

SAM_2181.JPG

SAM_2183.JPG

SAM_2184.JPG

SAM_2185.JPG

I've done really well in the Poncho department as well, which is wonderful, as I'm a very big Pontiac fan

Between pristine kits and nice solid rebuilders, I have an example of every full sized Pontiac from 1958-1967, as well as a few Grand Prix's and this Lemans.

There are a few Tempests, a few early 70s GP's, and a couple of late 60s Bonnevilles that I wouldn't mind adding to the collection, but I have most of my "grail" Pontiacs.

These are a few that I have yet to build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And then of course there is one of my proudest shelves of finished projects in my collection of vintage kits. :D

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 2

17 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

spacer.png

I came here to see if a top from a '66 Olds 442 would work for ya..

You found one..

Stayed for the kit pics..

and, HOLY MOLY, that '58 Pontiac convertible, in those colors, is my favorite Pontiac in the World!

In the late 90s I went to a Pontiac auction in the woods in southern Ohio, place used to be a dealership..

Imagine Lambrecht Chevrolet, but twice as many cars, in thick woods, and every car was rusted into oblivion..

Well, anyhow, I bought, for $320.00, a complete, but abysmally rusted, '58 Bonneville coupe in those same two-tone green colors, with FACTORY FUEL INJECTION!!

Anyway, I'd love to see some pics of yer convertible sometime, if you ever feel like posting em!

Oh, also, dude, every last one of yer builds are MIND BLOWING!

You and Paul Hettick man, yall are the best builders around!

6 hours ago, drifterdon said:

Wow!   Your builds are amazing sir.   May I ask what you use on your headlights and tailights to give them that non-toy-like look?    

On most of my more recent builds, I drill out the molded in headlights and replace them with new reflectors and clear lenses, but on some of these older builds, I just used a mixture of clear with a tiny bit of white mixed in.

tail lights are just Testors “Stop Light Red”.

Steve

On 11/20/2023 at 8:14 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

On most of my more recent builds, I drill out the molded in headlights and replace them with new reflectors and clear lenses, but on some of these older builds, I just used a mixture of clear with a tiny bit of white mixed in.

tail lights are just Testors “Stop Light Red”.

Steve

Thanks Steve for the tip.   Don