Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fordoni y Falacy

Helipilot16

Lookin' really raw as you blast your way through the plastic. But oh so promising! Can't wait to see you start to finesse those shapes and show them who's boss... The fenders already look really fine, as does the accent ridge along the roof. When you're done it should be a beauty. ;)

Edited by gbk1

Lookin Great Marcus ! My favorite style cars, Can't wait to see it done ! Here's My curbside Auburn Speedster by Shemp & Curley

DSC00381-vi.jpg

DSC00378-vi.jpg

I've started a Slightly more sophisticated closed fender car ! Can't get enough of em !

Bill,It looks more like Harpo and Zeppo.

Lookin' really raw as you blast your way through the plastic. But oh so promising! Can't wait to see you start to finesse those shapes and show them who's boss... The fenders already look really fine, as does the accent ridge along the roof. When you're done it should be a beauty. :blink:

Don't worry too much about the rawness of it. Since I took the pictures, I have smoothed it all out and added jams for the windows in the roof. I should start painting it tomorrow or the next day. I have decided on candy blue over silver for the main body. I'm still deciding on the color for the roof.

No, it's not too late to take suggestions from a pro designer. I'm now considering how to do it.

I like it Heli, Looks real nice. Hope the paint colors are not to flashy as this car should be suddle look and let the people see the body flows and the great work you did.

I like it Heli, Looks real nice. Hope the paint colors are not to flashy as this car should be suddle look and let the people see the body flows and the great work you did.

If I do the transparent blue right, it will look very classy. It all depends on what I use under it.

Harry :D

This a beautiful hand-made "ART DECO" style Delahaye. Been collecting picture's for years, on these styles of stunning "Rolling Art", with tons of incredible "SWIRLY CHROME" all over the body.

Some day........!

In the mean time, I'll enjoy watching how this build turns out Marcus :rolleyes: .

Great start on your project, that'll mirror one of the most wonderful period's of automotive history.

Keep us all up to date - dave :P

Those Art Deco cars are pretty incredible... I saw a group of Delahayes, a Talbot Lago, a custom bodied Rolls Royce and a few others at a special exhibit at the Petersen Automotive Museum a few years ago... in fact, that roof w/ the split rear windows reminds me of the RR, it's a car famous for it's round doors..can't recall what the model name is, but Autoblog or Autoweek had an article on it recently...

Edited by Rob Hall

Those Art Deco cars are pretty incredible... I saw a group of Delahayes, a Talbot Lago, a custom bodied Rolls Royce and a few others at a special exhibit at the Petersen Automotive Museum a few years ago... in fact, that roof w/ the split rear windows reminds me of the RR, it's a car famous for it's round doors..can't recall what the model name is, but Autoblog or Autoweek had an article on it recently...

I'm trying not to be too influenced by those cars, despite the name I've chosen. Think of them as my inspiration, not my prototypes. I don't want to seem to be copying anything.

My headlights will be stacked modern headlamps set behind a clear cover, somewhat like those of some modern cars.

Here is the new Fordoni engine. The other one wasn't turning out right. The new one is very similar, but different in some major ways. The new cams will have their chain drives in front of the engine. The heads are scratchbuilt using laminated styrene. The fuel injection bases were built out of styrene tubing. I have ordered some air funnels from Hong Kong.

Here is the engine story: I started with two aluminum low deck 347 cu inch Ford small blocks welded front to rear. I added a billet steel 16 cylinder crankshaft. The heads are aluminum overhead cam (four cams). The fuel injection is a custom built electronic Hillborn style.

IMG_4277_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4278_edited-1.jpg

I am using monofilament fishing line for the bolts on the cam covers. I looks very realistic in scale even though it isn't hex. I will paint the engine several different shades using Testors metalizers. The block will be painted aluminum using KustomKolor.

The transmission is a Ford AOD from a 32 Ford kit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently had a small setback and have taken advantage of it to improve the car. I painted it transparent Oriental Blue over silver. It came out great. After it was gassed out, I coated it with Future. When the Future came out badly, I used ammonia to remove it. So far, so good. Then I decided to add another coat of blue. The paint immediately wrinkled up. Apparently there was a little bit of ammonia left on the body, causing a bad reaction.

It immediately went into the purple pond. After the paint was gone, I went ahead and removed all the Squadron putty. I replaced it with melted plastic. It's much better looking and far stronger. I'm now in the process of sanding and smoothing.

I redid the door hinges to make the rear of the doors swing into the body. I'll do a tutorial on how I did it when I do the second door.