Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin 1968 Torino hardtop and 1969 Torino Cobra hardtop

Motor City Resin made an excellent 69 Cobra hardtop and I build it numerous years ago.  I think he is done for now though.  I would just make it a constant search on Ebay and see what pops up.  I do believe that Modelhaus did a 68 Torino convertible .  

I've seen that one, to rich for my blood. Hopefully Round 2 will reissue it like the other kits like the '68 Coronets and '71 Demon. I'm very surprised that they haven't, we've had the nice Talladega and Cobra sports roofs since it was reissued in 1990, the '68, and '69 Torino hardtop and convertible kits would probably fly off the shelves like those Coronets and Demon kits are going to do, I'm going to start saving to buy at least a case of the Demon and 68 Coronets.

On 8/9/2023 at 10:47 AM, DoctorLarry said:

10 hours ago, drodg said:

Btw there is a 69 hardtop on Ebay right now.  They only want 895 for it............ Oh man!

On 11/22/2023 at 8:52 PM, spkgibsonfirebird said:

I've seen that one, to rich for my blood. Hopefully Round 2 will reissue it like the other kits like the '68 Coronets and '71 Demon. I'm very surprised that they haven't, we've had the nice Talladega and Cobra sports roofs since it was reissued in 1990, the '68, and '69 Torino hardtop and convertible kits would probably fly off the shelves like those Coronets and Demon kits are going to do, I'm going to start saving to buy at least a case of the Demon and 68 Coronets.

I agree and the sad thing is those resin bodies are going to be quite expensive now too.  Maybe not 800+ dollars but still high.   

7 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

One related car I’ve never seen in resin or 3D printed form is the ‘68-69 Mercury Cyclone GT fastback or Montego coupe.   Would love to see those eventually.  

Time Machine Resin cast a Spoiler II conversion kit, similar to a Talladega (It used the Monogram Talladega as a base kit).  But no one has ever done a standard W-nose 68-69 Cyclone.  

A 68 or 69 Cyclone/Montego has long been on my wish list, 68 preferred.

On 11/26/2023 at 6:49 PM, sfhess said:

Time Machine Resin cast a Spoiler II conversion kit, similar to a Talladega (It used the Monogram Talladega as a base kit).  But no one has ever done a standard W-nose 68-69 Cyclone.  

A 68 or 69 Cyclone/Montego has long been on my wish list, 68 preferred.

Never say never! 

image.png.5bbe4bfb12be880f2599bc7af5c62110.png

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 9:52 PM, spkgibsonfirebird said:

the '68, and '69 Torino hardtop and convertible kits would probably fly off the shelves like those Coronets and Demon kits are going to do

Don't hold your breath. The 68-69 Fairlane/Torino is the red-headed step child of the classic car universe.😐

The AMT 69 Cobra hardtop kit utilized a separate (glue-on) roof to make a notchback out of the 68 Torino GT convertible (pace car). Modelhaus offered the 68 with molded on roof of the 69 Cobra to create a 68 notchback but didn't modify anything else. In my opinion it - and also the AMT 69 Cobra version -  had severe proportional problems in the roof area. The quarter window shape is not captured well, and the rear window is slightly recessed on the original car, like on a 67 to 70 Cougar. It was unfortunately completely ignored by AMT back then and looks flat and square.
I have a Motor City body for the 69 Cobra hardtop. That one is better, but still needs a lot of work to please my critical eyes.

In short - in my opinion Round2 would need to modify the body considerably if they plan to bring a hardtop 68/69 Torino. I would applaud if they do, I really like these cars.

Same for the 68/69 Cyclones, I agree. They are a huge gap in 1/25.

Just my opinion...

Edited by JS23U