Model Cars Magazine Forum

What size half-round for trim?

Hey, guys! I've been working on the big scale '57 Corvette, the 1/16 MPC kit. While trying to fix some low spots in the coves, I have diminished the trim around the coves themselves...... I'm thinking I should just sand it down completely and replace the trim with half-round. The trim on the doors is fine, it's around the cove on the body that I may need to replace. So, I'm hoping someone has this kit and can tell me what size half-round should be used....

Thanks to all help with this......

just a heads-up.  I was recently looking for half round to use for trim and was surprised to see that the available plastic half round is not a full semi-circle, and the edges were kind of tapered instead of perpendicular to the straight side that would go on the mounting surface.  it may take one size larger and some sanding to make the shape.

• Like 1

I've had more success using regular square stock over half round. The bottom of half round isn't flat so it doesn't stick all that well and it can be difficult to get it to take tight curves and stay flat. The square stuff is easier to work with and you just sand the top a little round once the glue is dry. 

• Like 1