Model Cars Magazine Forum

review 3d print designers

As many of us have access to a 3d printer now I thought it would be a good idea for us to review the designers. I know I've bought files that looked good in the pics but were trash once printed. Si this is a thread to recommend the designers, and to list they types of parts they do. for example i'll review

andrey_bezrodney - full kits of various vehicles from classic american pick ups through to modern european tuners. Usually at least one new kit each month in various scales

and for

motobas - mostly engines and detail parts and highly detailed. engines vary from muscle cars to supercars and classics. most need scaled down from 1/10 scale

king3d - various south american sold cars, wheels and parts. quality varies but is improving and prices are low. has the most accurate vw sp2 body and some unusaul racecars and trucks

blackbox - various kits, parts and accessories. mostly aimed towards tuners but theres some modern muscle parts too

• Like 5

100% agree with your list.

Andrey is great with his designs, and although not 100% accurate underneath, they look great when printed and displayed.

I've spent a lot of money on Motobas' engines and drivetrains. No one does it better.

Blackbox' wheels are excellent. 

To add a few to to your list...

Note, all of these are from Cults3D, except where noted

HORA80 - vehicle bodies. Does a great job, but you do need to do some math and scale these to your desired scale. And you'll need to deepen/scribe the body lines and whatnot. Interiors and chassis are very basic and sometimes non-existent, but his selection of bodies is excellent, and he has a a little of everything. 

THEGEARHEADFACTORY - if you want a modern F1 car, this is the guy. Curbside only, but look great.

MCSDESIGN - drag car parts, engines, transmissions, other accessories. Really good stuff.

PIXEL3D - some fun vehicles and accessories. 

ZFMW - Z Force Modelworks - one of the best for wheels

MODELLBAU1ZU24 - flat decks, service trucks, big rig parts, truck/4x4 related accessories. I've spent a lot with this guy.

OLIVIZZLE - a few full kits of excellent quality and detail. Lots of really nice wheels and transkits.

REAL-RIMS - simply the BEST source for aftermarket wheels for your builds.

FET-THUNDERDOME - not a lot of offerings yet, but has some amazing wheels for the Revell Porsche 918, MacLaren F1 GTR. Also a super nice set of BBS F1 wheels, and centerlocks for the Porsche Carrera GT. And some other stuff.

:)

• Like 4

slowlys models - various parts and wheels for most ages of vehicle including nice tube fronts for r32 through r34 skylines. some parts have different versions for each brand. also has old custom parts for pre war styles and lowrider bombs.

ditomaso147 - a wide variety of hotrod, custom, mini truck and drag parts. various mopar and gm hotrod bodies and chassis in numerous scales. be sure you have the right scale when purchasing as some items are 1/64 or 1/24 seperately

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stitchdup said:

ok a strange one and not really car related but NASA have free 3d models available. I saw curriosity rover among the files and being its NASA i would expect the quality to be good.I'm sure it would be great for sci fi and diorama folks

https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models/printable

Oh, I am totally going to try a few of those!

Some more:

LEZNAH0811 - lots of excellent wheel designs

COSPLAYITEMSROCK - a lot of big rig wheels/tires and accessories. Plus he does a lot of tractor pull kits and accessories, monster trucks, and recently added some sprint cars.

KRISBIZZLE - wheels, motorbikes, trailers, frames, interiors, lots of items for slamming a truck to the ground

WHEELBASESCALEMODELS - wheels, wheels, wheels

HOWLINGHOBBIES - wheels, seats, interior parts, rear spoilers/wings, frames, car bodies

WALIDKHIER - VW-inspired trailers, vintage campers, vintage boats, some excellent wheels. And he does not charge for his work. Walid is an active member here too. 

SCALE_AUTO_MODEL_WORKS - American engines and transmissions, plus accessories

3DVM - engines, steering wheels, seats, wheels, transmissions, door handles, mirrors, radiators, fans, other accessories

GHOSTMANZ - engines and accessories, wheels

• Like 2

digital surface - a range of full kits of 32 and 33/4 ford coupe, roadster and sedan. all with flatheads and are also available with louvred roofs and trunks. also does a bmw e21 in stance and stock kits. I've done the 32 roadster and coupe and they are very nice. I'll be getting the rest at some point

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

3DVM has raised the bar on complete kits.

Check out his new Mk1 Audi TT kit.

I've downloaded it and have started printing. I'd argue that it's on par with Alpha Models. Yeah, I said it.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/audi-tt-mk1-8n-in-1-24-scale

image.png image.png

that looks sweet, and i've bookmarked. I found a pretty good vw box van under advertising stuff files. I only found it because it was a featured designer on the cults home page one day. it never popped up under any of my searches

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dirtbag said:

Does the maker of the belly tank car have a web site? I'd really like to have a kit of that.

No, the file maker just sells the files for 3d printing.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/tool/drop-tank-racer-skale-1-24

You would need to find someone who would print it for you.

Cults3D has a list of their vendor partners that will print on demand for people.