Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Ford Figure 8 Stock Car

bobss396

I'm roughing this out for now. Dug an old parts kit out that has 2 busted roof pillars. They will ge fixed once I have the major body work completed.

Engine will be the VCG Resins 240/300 straight 6. I removed the front crossmember to make room for it. Based on what I did on the '51 Chevy.

I will be using the vent windows, I need more strength for the broken A pillar. Some cars had them,  some didn't. 

I will run a RF safety hub, this depicts a slightly newer F8 build.

20231225_113131.jpg

20231226_114953.jpg

20231227_092043.jpg

20231227_092047.jpg

20231227_092059.jpg

20231227_092119.jpg

20231227_092137.jpg

Really like these older racers, especially the 6 cylinder powered ones. Had the opportunity to crawl into a 53 Ford Hobby Stock at Hickory Speedway back in the mid 60's. A couple of warm up laps let me know pretty quickly that I made a better race fan than race driver. Looking forward to updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, still doing some work here and there on it. I have too many things going at once... the story of my life. I have most of the suspension parts painted.I opened up the inner wheel wells somewhat so I can tip the top of the front wheels in to get the negative camber these cars had.

This is the approximate look I am after. This is what we call an "opening day" shot. No body damage. And as the season progressed, more tire clearance would be added. Maybe some door bars or "cow catcher" bumper upgrades too.

f8 ford.png

Edited by bobss396

• 2 weeks later...

Having an off week between painful dental surgery recovery, food poisoning early in the week and seeing my pain management doc yesterday. The '40 Ford project got in the way, I'm also dabbling in the '65 Fairlane stock car. But the '56 is coming along. 

Interestingly enough, that is my race car from 1973, and at one point we did try a 300 CID straight six, our class rules had restrictions on the V-8 engines, but none on 6 cylinder's. That 6 Cyl sounded so cool, Clifford intake. Holley 4bbl, Clifford headers, ported and polished...just didn't have quite the grunt a V8 had, if I could get out front I was fine, she would scream! Hope you do the old Mickey Mouse car proud! The actual color of the car was International Harvester tractor red, you could buy it in 5 gallon buckets at the time.. :)

Ron

• Like 1