Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why is my paint job slightly fuzzy?

I’m using Tamiya fine surface white primer underneath a Tamiya TS metallic.

Am I just being super nitpicky or is there a way to improve the quality of my paint job? Notice around the edges of the light reflections are slightly fuzzy.

IMG_3891.jpeg

IMG_3890.jpeg

I I wouldn't polish a metallic base coat. I tried that once. It moves the metallic fragments and makes it look muddy. I think your paint is ok. I think you're just seeing the metallic fragments. I'd go ahead and clear it.

• Thanks 1

also, your testing on a spoon which has no flat surface so you might not get a sharp reflection just because of its shape. if you look at your own reflection in a spoon it will be slightly fuzzy too. you could test using some of the handle so theres a flat area too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobss396 said:

Absolutely. There are many a naysayer that says that you can't. Try it on your spoons or some scrap.

I’m new to polishing, do I need a new cloth between each compound?

Also how can I wash/clean my cloth?

7 hours ago, bobss396 said:

Absolutely. There are many a naysayer that says that you can't. Try it on your spoons or some scrap.

Bull. 

Some metallics can be sanded/polished, some can't.

To tell someone "absolutely" is a disservice.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I keep my cloths in seperate labelled sealed ziploc baggies so the compounds dont dry out on the cloths. i dont wash them, just replace when they are too contaminated. you would have to boil the cloths in clean water a few times to be sure they are clean and you cant use soap to clean them as it has a habit of making areas of the cloth scratchy and clogs the washing machine filters. how i do it is i have put on and off cloths for each of the 3 grades of polish. when the put on cloth gets contaminated to the point it cant be used, i chuck it out and use the off cloth to put on, and a new one for the off polishing again. also the best cloths i've found for the final off polishing are the ones you get with spectacles and if you make friends with the opticians you can usually buy a few from them without needing an eye test.

1 hour ago, Milo said:

I’m new to polishing, do I need a new cloth between each compound?

Also how can I wash/clean my cloth?

Start with something like 3200 grit and see if takes out the roughness. Always wet and I add dish soap to the water that i dip the cloths into. 

I use the cloths over many times. I wash them after each use and let them dry.

I have the DM 9000 detail master set. I'm on about my 3rd set in 25 years. I immediately cut ✂️ them into 4 pieces and mark the grit on the backs. When one is beat up, i toss it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Bull. 

Word. I've never seen one that I couldn't polish out. YMMV, experiment on scrap if you have doubts.

15 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Bull. 

Exactly. I will provide photographic evidence soon as I can get to my 69 Dart.

18 minutes ago, bobss396 said:

Start with something like 3200 grit and see if takes out the roughness. Always wet and I add dish soap to the water that i dip the cloths into. 

I use the cloths over many times. I wash them after each use and let them dry.

I have the DM 9000 detail master set. I'm on about my 3rd set in 25 years. I immediately cut ✂️ them into 4 pieces and mark the grit on the backs. When one is beat up, i toss it.

The polishing cloths have grits?

Difficult to see in the pictures on this end, are you talking about a kind of "foggy" appearance?  If so, that would probably be moisture in the air, (high humidity) when the paint is drying. My experience is that does not polish out.

Edited by Muncie

1 hour ago, Muncie said:

Difficult to see in the pictures on this end, are you talking about a kind of "foggy" appearance?  If so, that would probably be moisture in the air, (high humidity) when the paint is drying. My experience is that does not polish out.

New formula Duplicolor sprays fog quite a bit for me. The Tamiya TS line,  very slightly. I have been able to polish out the car touch up paints with success.

9 minutes ago, bobss396 said:

New formula Duplicolor sprays fog quite a bit for me. The Tamiya TS line,  very slightly. I have been able to polish out the car touch up paints with success.

All that is is standard lacquer "blushing" due to humidity.

Different lacquers have varying levels of sensitivity, and it ALWAYS polishes off...usually with nothing more aggressive than toothpaste.

"Solvent popping", on the other hand, is the result of hammering on too much paint too fast...aggravated by high humidity and temperatures.

And it will NOT polish out.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy