Model Cars Magazine Forum

movie idia

That would suck if they remade that movie. There was a made for tv remake with Viggo Mortensen in it a while back ( before lord of the rings) While it was a remake had basically the same concept it was a little different in quite a few parts. And even if they did remake it if they used a new Challenger that would suck even worse. Don't get me wrong I like those cars just not enough to be the "Vanishing Point" car. It would be like "Bullitt" with a 4 door Charger and 2008 Mustang. Again both nice cars but it just wouldn't be the same. All CGI and crappiness. And don't even get me started on remakes. Remember the steaming load of horse puckey ;) from 2000 that they called "Gone in 60 Seconds"? Yeah thanks a lot Bruckheimer.

Edited by Willy Survive

Hey I understand Tommy. To each their own. I just think those movies were perfect the way they were and didn't need remade. And it was bound to happen in any case it's just not my cup of tea. I will say I did like Robert Duvall in the "Gone" remake. But he was over shadowed by Nicholas Cage's (over)acting I think. I guess I just like simpler things. Give me a double feature of Two-Lane Blacktop, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, a sixer of PBR and some ballpark franks and I'm all set. :lol:

Hey I understand Tommy. To each their own. I just think those movies were perfect the way they were and didn't need remade. And it was bound to happen in any case it's just not my cup of tea. I will say I did like Robert Duvall in the "Gone" remake. But he was over shadowed by Nicholas Cage's (over)acting I think. I guess I just like simpler things. Give me a double feature of Two-Lane Blacktop, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, a sixer of PBR and some ballpark franks and I'm all set. :lol:

Willy,

I here ya!! There is definitely something to be said about the originals. They were grittier. Another movie of this type for me would be LeMans. Although there has not been a remake, that movie is somehow fantastic. I have seen it numerous times. I cant tell you what the plot is, (if there is one), the script is almost non existant, but the camera work is fantastic. And it was all done before the advent of ILM and CG effects.

I love the original Van. Point. It and American Graffitti are probably my 2 favorite car movies. I just wish that the sound was a little crisper. I dont think its my copy because I remember watching it on "The Lost Drive-in" on the Pre-NASCAR Speed Channel, and it sounded weak there too.

And everyone and their brother thinks the '68 Fastbck is the only Eleanor.

It really gets on my nerves. :lol:

Tis truly a sad time we are living in. It looks like its up to us to educated the uninitiated! Somebody's got to set these clowns straight. They need to respect the history and those that have paved the way. They need to know who Toby Halecki was.

IIRC, somebody from Chrysler entered an all white SRT-8 Challenger in the last One Lap of America, unfortunelty it hit a was and was disqualified because of body damage (it had no front body work left, I think they would have tried to continue if given a chance.)

IIRC, it was a pre-production car, so basically it was a 1 of 1.

post-2298-1237337206_thumb.jpg

post-2298-1237337231_thumb.jpg

post-2298-1237337255_thumb.jpg

Tis truly a sad time we are living in. It looks like its up to us to educated the uninitiated! Somebody's got to set these clowns straight. They need to respect the history and those that have paved the way. They need to know who Toby Halecki was.

Recently saw the original "Gone" on the beautifully re-mastered DVD. There were several excellent featurettes about TH narrated by his widow. Highly recommended!

While each one was named the same, the story lines were just different enough to be able to enjoy and separate both.

Different storylines kinda render a 'remake' nothing more than a new movie with an old title, don't you think? Let's face it, Hollow-wood is all out of ideas; it seems that too many recent films have either been shallow 'remakes' of older films, or movie versions of old TV shows.

FWIW, that white SRT Challenger is a decent remake....those one-off 20" Mopar rallye-esque wheels were made by Foose, if memory serves correctly. Dodge should offer them on the production cars.

Edited by VW Dave

Would be nice if those big guys from Hollywood made more films with cars as maim subject?

I mean,,, there is a great movies with car related, but comparing to total movies launched every year is insignificant…Transformers last year was good but a little “over†to me (read it as “bring more moneyâ€! Hollywood’s Rules!)

And even these ones more recently, in my opinion, all sucks! Lets face it… Fast & Furious for example: it’s about to start the 4th sequence with basic the same tuning subject…Man… why not make something really interesting around Hotrods??? The last title (good one) I remember is American Graffiti….Or something like LeMans???

Please… more gasoline, more speed, more mils… less CG effects…less ridiculous scripts…

Different storylines kinda render a 'remake' nothing more than a new movie with an old title, don't you think? Let's face it, Hollow-wood is all out of ideas; it seems that too many recent films have either been shallow 'remakes' of older films, or movie versions of old TV shows.

Dave,

I couldn't agree more. Ther are no new ideas in Hollywood anymore. It just seemslike they are either not trying, or just care about the money, not the "art".

FWIW, that white SRT Challenger is a decent remake....those one-off 20" Mopar rallye-esque wheels were made by Foose, if memory serves correctly. Dodge should offer them on the production cars.

I'm not real sold on those wheels. I loved the originals, but they just dont seen to translate too well in the larger size. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of Wagon Wheels on today's cars anyway. I like to see side wall. I know the ride is better with a little more rubber between the wheel and the road.

does wandering around in the desert & hippies translate well thirty years later?

mmmmm, have the "hero" character be an young and single (or older and freshly divorced) Afganistan or Iraq vet who bought the car with the money he earned in the war zone and goes into the desert to get away and blow off steam, then just replace the hippies with Jay and Silent Bob (or wanna-be's), maybe add in a nutcase that like to run around in his underwear and wear armadillo shell hats to keep the thought police from getting him...................................hey, it almost writes it self :o:P

then I'm gonna have a real hard time dishing out $10 to go see a 2 hour long Chrysler Commercial..... :angry:

Could always throw in a few Crown Vics and Impala cruisers to get their rears handed to them by the Challenger, maybe even have an older Mustang or Camaro pursuit car to make things interesting.

Edited by Joe Handley